Sign in to follow this  

bad years for valves?

Looking at a 2008 crf250. Just wondering what year crf250's seemed to be more prone to valve issues and if there is a "fix"?

they changed the valve seat material in '06...but any year will last a while if taken care of...the fix? dont buy a full on race bike lol

Even if the bike is not raced it still could be ridden hard. Also, I guarantee you any racer takes better care of his bike then most Sunday trail riders. The only way to avoid valve problems is to buy a Yamaha. If you buy a used Honda, accept the fact that you might have to spend around 1 Grand to fix it sooner or later.

Even if the bike is not raced it still could be ridden hard. Also, I guarantee you any racer takes better care of his bike then most Sunday trail riders. The only way to avoid valve problems is to buy a Yamaha. If you buy a used Honda, accept the fact that you might have to spend around 1 Grand to fix it sooner or later.

oem top end can be done for around 450 bucks including seats cut..

only way to avoid valve problems is to take care of the bike.. yamaha valves will wear as well, in fact my crf's valves lasted longer then my old yz250f..(still a long time for both bikes)

only way to avoid valve problems is to take care of the bike..

I had a 03 crf450 and I am anal about my bikes maintenance and cleanliness and still had my valves go south on me. Was around $500 in parts to rebuild myself.

I had a 03 crf450 and I am anal about my bikes maintenance and cleanliness and still had my valves go south on me. Was around $500 in parts to rebuild myself.

02/03 had a defective airbox seal.. did you change it out?

At the time, the 02 was the one with air box issues. Never heard of issues with the 03 & later airboxes at least not on the 450's. Then I again I havent kept up on the 450's since I sold mine 4 years ago.

02 was bad with the seal, 03 was having some issues as well, 04 when the 250f came out they released the bikes with the new air box design

my 02 went about 80 race hrs with the stock valves which was pretty good in my opinion being ridden by a intermediate and vet inter. rider..

We all pretty much agree. If you buy a used CRF, the valves will need to be replaced probably sooner then later. Back in 2004, when I came on these boards talking about valve problems dozens of people popped up denying valve problems. Now, no one disagrees there are valve problems, they argue that they last long enough. My local shop has about six 5 gallon buckets filled with bad Honda valves he has replaced since 2002. He makes a decent living thanks to Honda valves.