Sign in to follow this  

Wrapping your radiator hoses

ok so iv heard that you can wrap your hoses, and gas tank in a sort of foil, how do you do this becasue im considering doing this. any step by step directions wil greatly help.:banana:

There are a few companies that sell a type of thermal sleeve that slides over your radiator hoses and fuel line to prevent heat from going into them. Basically it a silver reflective type material on the outside with a fiberglass insulating material on the inside. It's not very expensive and does work. A local company here called CV4 also makes a thermal blanket that goes under the fuel tank to keep the heat from the engine from heating up the fuel. Anything you can do to keep things running cooler helps.

I know those blankets are better then what I'm going to suggest. How ever you can go find alluminum tape and line the bottem of your tank for a few dollars.

It will be Better then stock. If you can find gold color it works the best.

and does the CV4 aftermarket hoses help too?

I don't think they help as far as heat goes. They do hold up better than stock and look cool too. One thing I like about the CV4 hoses is at rebuild time they are much easier to take off. The don't stick to the fittings like the stock hoses do.

I know those blankets are better then what I'm going to suggest. How ever you can go find alluminum tape and line the bottem of your tank for a few dollars.

It will be Better then stock. If you can find gold color it works the best.

Doesn´t silver colored tape reflect more than gold?

Silver reflects visible light better. How ever infrared/heat reflects better with gold.

I´ll take your word for it!

Doesn´t silver colored tape reflect more than gold?

My bike came with the tank wrapped with the Pro Circuit heat shield. You can buy sheets of it in silver or gold. The teams use the silver. The gold cost more but here is what the Pro Circuit catalogue said.

"Because of four-stroke engines produce so much heat, the gasoline in the tank can lose it's combustibility. IN some cases, the gas reaches the boiling point inside the float bowl. Pro Circuit's gold and silver heat shields self adhere to the bottom of your motercycle's gas tank to reduce operating temperatures for better performance. The gold shield reflects up to 950 degrees (a 70-degree drop in temperature), while the silver shield provides a 150 degree drop in temperatures."

http://www.procircuit.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=20498&idcategory=296

I'm not one to argue procircuits claims how ever when it comes to heat gold is better. This is why the lunar lander is gold why the shields on austrinauts helemets are gold. It's even why BMW used gold inside the engine bay of the mecleron car along with ford in thier p90 quad turbo concept car. Along with alot of f1 cars engines. I maybe wrong but I don't think I am

Did done more research. The gild used in f1cars etc is very very exapensive.

There is a silver version that's cheaper that I'm assuming procircuit uses. This stuf is better then the gold films that you can buy at hardware stores etc.

When is comes to the chepostuff the gold will still be better.

The gold that pc sells. Well is relabled cheepo crap where thier silver is not run of the mill

with the high end gold film being too exapensive.

Did done more research. The gild used in f1cars etc is very very exapensive.

There is a silver version that's cheaper that I'm assuming procircuit uses. This stuf is better then the gold films that you can buy at hardware stores etc.

When is comes to the chepostuff the gold will still be better.

The gold that pc sells. Well is relabled cheepo crap where thier silver is not run of the mill

with the high end gold film being too exapensive.

Pro Circuits gold heat shield is about $20 more then their silver but their testing still shows that the silver deflects the heat better, at least in their product. I would think if the gold worked better they would use it on their bikes but their race bikes use the silver.

I don't disagree with your statments, I am just sharing the facts from the Pro Circuit team.

awesome. i think im gonna pick up some of the silver wrap. or is the gold a better choice?

Well I just put down what PC says about their stuff but Pr1mal says the gold is better and I trust his judgment. I think either way is an improvement.