Sign in to follow this  

attn western PA people...dual sport question

Hey all. I've been wanting to get a dual sport a lot lately, but the pickens are slim for affordable used ones. But i found on craigslist a 2007 wr250f for a decent price that looks to be in decent order.

its not the r so its not street legal, so heres my question to those who are motorcycle mechanics and know a thing or 2 about inspections and what not

what kind of time and money and holes am i going to have to go through to get the wr250f street legal.

its already got headlight and tail light--the easy part for me. I can easily get some turn signals and a mirror. i'd assume title transfer would be easy-- i havent checked with im but the condition and use of the bike suggests he owns it. so... what kind of stuff am i gonna need to do to make it street legal?

Buy the kit from Baja designs ($500), the wiring harness, controls and brake switches are all there. You gotta cross your T's and dot your I's before you even think of taking it to get it inspected, it can be a PITA. I didn't do my conversion I bought it that way, do some searches in the dual sport section and you should find information but everything should be on the DMV site too.

The whole process involves changing the vehicle type on the title from "OHV" to "MC". The easier path is to find a bike that's already titled as "MC". I probably shouldn't do this here but if a plated 01 400mxc interests you, PM me.

I put a write-up here that explains the process:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641970

I followed this format from abby, and made a real good DP out of a CRF 450 R. I have the link saved to my favorites, and also printed it off in Sept of 08

I have sold that bike (just a couple of weeks ago) , and plan To DP my old 09 YZ 450 as soon as I can locate a generator for running the lights and things.

BTW, I got really good money for that bike, almost 5000 for a bike that I raced one year and beat on the street/ woods for a year and a half. Bike held its value very well. had over 230 hours on it. I'm going to miss that bike until I get another done.:banana: