Sign in to follow this  

250 exc-f vs. 250 xcw-f

I did a quick search and couldn't really find much so I have a question for you all. I don't know a whole lot about KTM bikes but I've found that the 250 exc-f and xcf-w seem to be what I'm looking for. My question is what's the big defining differences between the two and why is it so hard to try and find an exc-f at a dealer to buy? Thanks!

Sry about the model mispell on the xcf-w

they dont make the EXCF anymore in the US, its the old bike n motor from 05 back. XCF, XCFW, SXF are the newer motors and bikes.

I'm out of luck for that one lol. It's now a choice between an '08 250 xcf-w and an '08 wr250r. I know they're a completely different animal but it's a toss up between the higher maintenance KTM or the long lasting durability of the Yamaha engine. Not saying the KTM isn't but word is that the newer engines aren't as bulletproof. I know there isn't the perfect bike but I want to try and find a balance between occasional road riding and a lighter off-road bike since I trail ride and do rallymoto.

I do realize that the KTM is more of a competitive off-road race bike but I was hoping to get into something like that which would be good for the road as well. Getting it registered isn't an issue in that light. My brother has an older 400 exc and he rides it on the trails and on the road and was hoping to follow along with that on a little bit smaller bike. I'm just worried about the wr weighing about 40 more lbs than the ktm and it's ability off-road. Weight is important to me since I'm not really built like a linebacker.

These two bikes are actually fairly comparable, i.e. apples to apples issue. The KTM may be a little more 'race oriented' and while it is a little lighter than the Yamaha, the difference is nowhere near 40 lbs. The KTM is no more maintenance intensive than the Yamaha and has proven to be very reliable and bulletproof. A main advantage of the KTM 250 XCF-W is the wide ratio 6 speed tranny. A disadvantage of the KTM is its higher price.

I'm not an expert but according to the research I've been doing the dry weight of a wr is around 270 and wet it's 298. As for 223 dry for a 250 xcf-w. I know that there might be a little play in that umber but I would hope that they wouldn't stray any further than 10lbs either way. Seems a couple of opinions of ppl who own the xcf-w have been referring to them as semi-wide ratio. just trying to search out the most applicable bike to my situation, decisions decisions lol

Ive got an 07 250 XCFW, great bike, works in the woods and in the desert. It is plated and has a Thumper racing 300 kit on it too. Ive checked the valves 3 times now and they have not moved in a year of riding. I believe it to weigh about 240, but have not weighed it.

Everyone I ride with has KTM's now. I was the last holdout and picked up the exact bike you are looking at. The bike is the best woods bike I have had and I adapted to it rather quickly after being on Jap bikes for so many years.

I don't know of any out of the ordinary maintenance issues with any of the 6 bikes (both 2 & 4 stroke) I just change the oil and ride

Ive got an 07 250 XCFW, great bike, works in the woods and in the desert. It is plated and has a Thumper racing 300 kit on it too. Ive checked the valves 3 times now and they have not moved in a year of riding. I believe it to weigh about 240, but have not weighed it.

That's good to hear. I'm not worried about getting the work done on it if it needs it. I just want to make sure it's not something I'm going to have to worry about after every third ride or so kinda of like how an mx bike needs wrenching after every 40 hrs or so, as opposed to the longevity between maintenance on the yamaha. Seems like for the most part thats the feedback I've been seeing on it. That's why I wanted to make sure and get some opinions for myself from people who own the bike like yourself. I'm trying not to jump into a bike to hastily.

How is it on the road? Pretty good when you get up to speed or does it get a little shaky?

Everyone I ride with has KTM's now. I was the last holdout and picked up the exact bike you are looking at. The bike is the best woods bike I have had and I adapted to it rather quickly after being on Jap bikes for so many years.

I don't know of any out of the ordinary maintenance issues with any of the 6 bikes (both 2 & 4 stroke) I just change the oil and ride

Yeah I hear you, my brother and cousin along with most the people we ride with have KTM's and they all applaud how trail worthy they are so it got me into seriously considering one. Just want to seek out the best choice though before I do anything.

I'm not an expert but according to the research I've been doing the dry weight of a wr is around 270 and wet it's 298. As for 223 dry for a 250 xcf-w. I know that there might be a little play in that number but I would hope that they wouldn't stray any further than 10lbs either way. Seems a couple of opinions of ppl who own the xcf-w have been referring to them as semi-wide ratio. just trying to search out the most applicable bike to my situation, decisions decisions lol

Oops, my mistake as I didn't recognize the Yamaha as the street legal WR250R at first. Yes that model is way too heavy, especially for a 250. The Yamaha WR250F would be more comparable to the KTM. The KTM 250 XC-F has a 6 speed close ratio tranny while the 250 XCF-W has a wider ratio 6 speed tranny. The XCF-W is better suited as an all purpose bike with its more versatile gear ratios and slightly softer suspension.

Oops, my mistake as I didn't recognize the Yamaha as the street legal WR250R at first. Yes that model is way too heavy, especially for a 250. The Yamaha WR250F would be more comparable to the KTM. The KTM 250 XC-F has a 6 speed close ratio tranny while the 250 XCF-W has a wider ratio 6 speed tranny. The XCF-W is better suited as an all purpose bike with its more versatile gear ratios and slightly softer suspension.

No problem! I got confused at first but didn't want to sound like an ass posting the weights. I just didn't want where I was looking up my information to be wrong b/c I would have stopped using that for info! :banana:

I'm not an expert but according to the research I've been doing the dry weight of a wr is around 270 and wet it's 298. As for 223 dry for a 250 xcf-w. I know that there might be a little play in that umber but I would hope that they wouldn't stray any further than 10lbs either way. Seems a couple of opinions of ppl who own the xcf-w have been referring to them as semi-wide ratio. just trying to search out the most applicable bike to my situation, decisions decisions lol

the yamaha wr250 R is the model that is 270/298 the wr250F is the dirt model woods bike is NOT that heavy. i have one of those and they are a great bike. soft suppension but easily fixed. needs a long list of basic "FREE" mods to desmog and wake it up and it does need jetting, but once done it is a bullet proof fairly light weight good handling bike.

the ktm on the other hand is a little higher maintinance and a little more pricey on initial purchase and replacement parts. but it a more race oriented bike out of the box.

both great choices and are apples to apples comparisson but with different pros and cons

the wr is 260 lbs WET weight, the ktm xcfw is about 240 ish wet

Hmmm...just picked up a WR250F for my kid, it has the same dry weight as the KTM, so I'm not sure how the Yam gets heavier with the same amount of gas and oil. Unless Yam is weighing them without tires, and plastics, and...well, we all know about how they fudge the numbers. I don't think there's that much difference in weight between the two, may 10lbs max, if that. The yam does have more do-dads and brackets and crap, the KTM is much more svelt and setup for racing and aggressive riding.

KTM is a more sophisticated and is a more highly engineered machine. Having owned the KTM for a year I find it's maintenance is not more than any other bikes out there, in fact, compared to the CR's and KX's I imagine its a lot less. They are going similar hours to yamaha, 200 or more, before valves need to be redone, sometimes longer. In fact, the service manual that comes with the yamaha lists WAY more things to look after than the KTM does. Anyway, I think that's all a moot point, either is going to give good service and dependability.

Neither are any good on the street. A dirtbike setup to anything ride-able on the road is lousy offroad, and vice versa. For connecting trails, any of them work fine, but if you're thinking of a commuter forget it, get a real street bike. Although the xcfw will top out around 80mph if you run it like that much you'll wear out the motor - it's screaming at 10 grand plus. In fact, mine pukes oil out the breather if you run it WOT for very long.

And the tires don't balance, and the motor isn't smooth for on-road crusing with traffic. And if you gear it up to cruise on road it's too high for off then.

Either of the bikes can be setup to be mild or aggressive depending on rider style and preferrence. Out of the box the KTM is pretty much ready to rock and roll, the WR does need it's tweaking to coax out the true machine that lurks within. Both are nicely finished bikes. A nod goes to the KTM for styling - black Excels, more updated styling and look, the Yam is tried and true rock solid. Can't really go wrong with either.

I have a 2008 KTM 250XCF-W & 2008 WR250R Yamaha and there is a world of difference between them. The Yamaha does weight 40 lbs more and does not have suspension to ride off-road at the same pace as the KTM. I did remove the stock exhaust (replaced with an FMF) and all the street stuff off the Yamaha. I installed Baja design brake light assembly and their LED turnsignals. The weight lose was off-set by adding a good skid plate, hand guards, full knobby tires with HD tubes and rim locks, rear disc guard and radiator guard. Full of gas the Yamaha is right at 300 lbs. The KTM now has the JD carb kit, heavier springs F & R for 200 lb rider, hand guards, R dics guard, radiator guards, lighting kit WA State plated, duel morrors and 3 gal gas tank. Ready to with a full its about 258 lbs. The Yamaha has very smooth power curve (not nearly as much HP as the KTM) and rides much better on the pavement, its not really a true off-road bike. I spent alot of money trying to make it an off-road worthy, it was a big waste of money. The KTM is a true off-road bike and is not much fun on the pavement. I use the Yamaha for trail maintanance and for trips on a alot of gravel roads. The KTM is my Enduro/single track use bike. I have appox. 2500 miles on each bike and the maintaince is about the same. Both bikes have been very dependible. KTM for the dirt & the Yamaha is good for Duelsporting. Good luck on your choice!

Thanks for the response. Lot of insightful information! My only purpose for putting the bike on the road is really to get from trail to trail and to be able to race Rallymoto as you can only race a registered and insured bike. I'm definitely going to be doing more off-road trails and such than I would be spending time on the road. I just wouldn't mind something that I can take a spin up the road to grab some ice cream on, or head down to the lighthouse a few miles away. I've been on the search for an xcfw and think I might have one pinned down so hopefully it works out!