Sign in to follow this  

Left spark plug out in rain

I pulled a pretty stupid move; when getting some shims for my valves, the weather turned nasty. I only finger threaded on the valve cover, connected the hoses, and put the spark plug grommet in the spark plug hole to protect the bike from dust (it was windy). Then it rained fairly hard, by the time I got home it was too late. What should I do now? If I just crank the engine over without the spark plug in it, will any water that might have gotten in the cylinder come out? Thanks for advice.

I pulled a pretty stupid move; when getting some shims for my valves, the weather turned nasty. I only finger threaded on the valve cover, connected the hoses, and put the spark plug grommet in the spark plug hole to protect the bike from dust (it was windy). Then it rained fairly hard, by the time I got home it was too late. What should I do now? If I just crank the engine over without the spark plug in it, will any water that might have gotten in the cylinder come out? Thanks for advice.

What ever water intrusion that went through the spark plug hole....will be blown out cranking it with the plug out.....Some of that water could have seeped through the rings down in the crank case..... Look for milky foaming oil.....Try to clean the cams...etc...then crank it with the plug out....insert the plug....then run it.......If not to much water is in there... it should migrate out through the crank case breather vent.......But if your in doubt...just do an oil change....:banana::thumbsup:

Erling

I would:

1. Bump the starter with the plug out to evacuate any water in the cylinder.

2. Change the oil.

3. Run the engine until hot, then change the oil.

4. Repeat 4. above until all signs of water intrusion are gone.

Thanks for the tips guys, I bumped the starter, and just the smallest poof of mist came out. I'm very close to an oil change, so when I drain the oil I'll check the oil for any milky stuff. :banana:

You are not "very close to an oil change". Do to the water intrusion you are due now. I'm sure you realize that but it was worth making sure.