New $18/yr. Vehicle Lic. Fee in CA for State Parks?

Sounds great, but only if they actually KEEP the money for the Parks, rather than do what they always do w/ the OHV fund and steel it for other programs.

If you go to a state park twice in a year, it's paid for. If you're not going to a state park at least twice in a year, you need to get out more.

Sounds great, but only if they actually KEEP the money for the Parks, rather than do what they always do w/ the OHV fund and steel it for other programs.

If you go to a state park twice in a year, it's paid for. If you're not going to a state park at least twice in a year, you need to get out more.

Maybe I'm not understanding this. Ocotillo Wells is one of those listed. Right now I pay nothing to go there other than the money I pay for vehicle licenses (plates and OHV stickers). Now it would be $18 for my truck, $18 for my enclosed trailer and $18 for each bike I take out of the trailer? Another point is currently my enclosed trailer license is about $5 for a few years (perm. plate), therefore this fee will cost more than my license fee for the whole trailer! Currently there are no controlled entry points to OW. How do they propose to monitor the access? OW is surrounded by vacant land outside of it's boundaries. There will be a tremendous growth of use outside of the park, how is that to be handled?

Another issue is the coastal "surf parks". Almost all of San Diego is part of this situation. I feel for residents near the parks. During the summer many people who do not go to the beach often will then park and walk to avoid the fees. Many residential streets will be impacted by the increased usage of the "free parking".

Maybe I'm not understanding this. Ocotillo Wells is one of those listed. Right now I pay nothing to go there other than the money I pay for vehicle licenses (plates and OHV stickers). Now it would be $18 for my truck, $18 for my enclosed trailer and $18 for each bike I take out of the trailer? Another point is currently my enclosed trailer license is about $5 for a few years (perm. plate), therefore this fee will cost more than my license fee for the whole trailer! Currently there are no controlled entry points to OW. How do they propose to monitor the access? OW is surrounded by vacant land outside of it's boundaries. There will be a tremendous growth of use outside of the park, how is that to be handled?

That's an interesting point. I guess it would more easily benefit someone like me who only has one bike (so far...), one small trailer, etc... But I also probably don't ride as much as you do.

As for monitoring entrance to OW, the point of this is that everyone has already paid their "entrance fees" thru the vehicle reg fees. There would be no need to monitor who has paid entry fees and who hasn't, freeing up LEOs to do other more important things.

Also, you already pay multiple green/red sticker fees for EACH of your bikes, that is supposed to the OHV fund. It also sounds like you ride a lot, and the more you ride at pay as you go parks (Carnegie, Prairie City, Hollister Hills, etc...) the more it benefits you.

If the ONLY place you ride is OW, then it probably won't benefit YOU, but there are thousands (millions?) of people in Cali that use State Parks (OHV and non OHV) that would benefit from this.

Another issue is the coastal "surf parks". Almost all of San Diego is part of this situation. I feel for residents near the parks. During the summer many people who do not go to the beach often will then park and walk to avoid the fees. Many residential streets will be impacted by the increased usage of the "free parking".

That's not the fault of the parks. I've been to many places where public "free" parking near attractions is non-existent except for residents with those little "resident" stickers on their bumpers.

People generally have a choice. Park to park close to where they want to be, or park 3 miles away and walk in.

$18 dollars a year per vehicle for access to all those parks? Where do I sign up? I spend more than that on those stupid adventure passes I buy to ride in silverwood every season.

$18 dollars a year per vehicle for access to all those parks? Where do I sign up? I spend more than that on those stupid adventure passes I buy to ride in silverwood every season.

Another stupid fee I refuse to pay....I am local to those mountains and often clean up the trash of others that the FS does not take care of.....they can bite my :banana:

Another stupid fee I refuse to pay....I am local to those mountains and often clean up the trash of others that the FS does not take care of.....they can bite my :banana:

I am local, also (Corona). I actually got a ticket on Sunday because my adventure pass date wasn't scratched off clearly enough.? I was pissed. I just mailed my adventure pass, ticket and a little hand written note to them. Awaiting to see their response if any.

I can't tell if this is an addition fee or a replacement fee. What I don't like about it is the fact that there is no option to pay this or not. Every California vehicle will have to pay this fee, through annual DMV renewal, regardless if you go to these parks or not. I guess that is why they are only charging $18 instead of a $100.

That's an interesting point. I guess it would more easily benefit someone like me who only has one bike (so far...), one small trailer, etc... But I also probably don't ride as much as you do.

As for monitoring entrance to OW, the point of this is that everyone has already paid their "entrance fees" thru the vehicle reg fees. There would be no need to monitor who has paid entry fees and who hasn't, freeing up LEOs to do other more important things.

Also, you already pay multiple green/red sticker fees for EACH of your bikes, that is supposed to the OHV fund. It also sounds like you ride a lot, and the more you ride at pay as you go parks (Carnegie, Prairie City, Hollister Hills, etc...) the more it benefits you.

If the ONLY place you ride is OW, then it probably won't benefit YOU, but there are thousands (millions?) of people in Cali that use State Parks (OHV and non OHV) that would benefit from this.

In reading your current post the bolded portion made me reread the article and the supporting info. Thanks for pointing out my error. As I first read it I thought it was to buy and additional "window sticker" for each vehicle per user/ purchaser. As you point out it is an additional fee for everyone andded to your registration fee. I stand corrected. Since I like to bitch about something then I have a number of collector cars that will never go to state parks. So, anyway I turn, I spend on fees. Oh well The story of my life:lol:

It may be a good thing if helps to keep the feds from taking over. :banana:

The road to hell is paved (paid for) with good intentions....no matter how much I would love to see billions pumped into our parks...tell me why those that do not use these parks should have to pay a usage "fee"?

I would like to know how many people really believe this money will stay dedicated to state parks? IMHO its just more money they will steal for other projects....just like they always do.

Just like they did here in Washington, somehow it ended up in the general fund and its overdrawn, so they added a opt out 5.00 fee on to car tabs. Like that opt out, if you dont say anything they automaticlly charge you, and most people dont know about it. Our states so messed up, first it was logging proceeds from state land went to school, then when that slowed down we came up with a lottery, that somehow didnt work, now were still cutting school funds, why is it so hard to cut .gov?

I can't tell if this is an addition fee or a replacement fee. What I don't like about it is the fact that there is no option to pay this or not. Every California vehicle will have to pay this fee, through annual DMV renewal, regardless if you go to these parks or not. I guess that is why they are only charging $18 instead of a $100.

In this tough economy a lot of non park users are going to balk at increasing their registration fees. The fees were increased alot last year.

The road to hell is paved (paid for) with good intentions....no matter how much I would love to see billions pumped into our parks...tell me why those that do not use these parks should have to pay a usage "fee"?

Not much in life, especially when it comes to taxes, is fair. We all pay for things we do not use in every fee/bill/tax, we pay. I am not saying it is ok, or right. There should be no need for it at all if Kali were financially responsible. Feds are already trying to take more land from states. $18 seems like a small price (I am sure it will increase through the years) to keep the Feds from taking it and asserting more authority over you.