Sign in to follow this  

How Do You Set up A Pass ?

How do you set up a pass with someone that is racing about the same speed as you ? I'm on a 250 2t racing mainly 4ts , in one race on sunday i came up behind a guy that was taking every line that i wanted to take and was as fast as me , luckily for me he fell off , but i'm sure i would have struggled to pass him , what would you do in that situation ?

going into a turn, take the line a little to the inside, when he goes to completely turn, lock your rear tire up and slide the rear end right in front of him, causing him to slow down, then accelerate and take a big lead, as he's bound to try the same thing!

Truly you need to find a spot where you can go faster than he can or get to them same spot in a shorter amount of time or distance. That sounds complicated I know but think about it like this, If he is going outside you go inside and vise versa. If you want to pass and do it clean you need to study their lines and make your own. Look past the rider in front of you that you want to pass. I am having a hard time explaining this without telling you what not to do so here goes. Don't follow and don't stare at him while you are trying to pass, you need to look past him to get where you want to be.

If you are close and see he is blocking or intentionally taking your lines you may need to bate him into the slow line by taking it a couple times yourself. There are a lot of ways to pass but remember if you don't keep it clean, what comes around goes around!

Going into a turn when everything is nice and quiet hold in your clutch and rev your bike, yell at him even if it is just, "AHHHHHHHHHHH!", anything to fluster him.

buy her a drink first.

You must be dating high class girls :banana:

Hold preasure. Let him see a front fender every now and then so he knows your there. Dont follow the same line and wait for the mistake, then power around.

Truly you need to find a spot where you can go faster than he can or get to them same spot in a shorter amount of time or distance. That sounds complicated I know but think about it like this, If he is going outside you go inside and vise versa. If you want to pass and do it clean you need to study their lines and make your own. Look past the rider in front of you that you want to pass. I am having a hard time explaining this without telling you what not to do so here goes. Don't follow and don't stare at him while you are trying to pass, you need to look past him to get where you want to be.

If you are close and see he is blocking or intentionally taking your lines you may need to bate him into the slow line by taking it a couple times yourself. There are a lot of ways to pass but remember if you don't keep it clean, what comes around goes around!

Thanks for the replies , I do want to keep it clean i think my problem is dicribed above in that , i do follow to close to the target rider and i do nothing else then look at them .

What i don't understand is that i had a bad start i when i say bad i mean 39th out of 40 ito the first turn i got back to 5th and must have been going alot faster than the guy as i must have made up 80 yards on him but didn't get past .

Scream "lookout" when you get close!:banana:

I've done that to friends and young hot shots, gets em everytime:p

My son hates it the most when I sneak up behind and scare the crap out of him.

i say BLACK_UP is right haha when im on the track and i hear the rev limiter go off near me it scares me lol

It really works with those not expecting it. I guess when they hear a bike pinned to the gills behind them they expect someone is coming wide open and slow down so they don't get cleaned out.

Screaming really does work on less experienced riders. Either that or toss a panic rev in. Break their concentration and it's an easy pass. Personally, I like to come in a little high depending on the corner, square it up and cut underneath them, but standing them up in a corner works best, especially on banked corners.

Keep showing them a wheel, make sure they know you are there at all times and play with their head and wait for the mistake. The second a mistake is made the door is open, make sure you use the door.

It's your choice to ride and pass however you like, but remember what comes around goes around! In what has been mentioned so far I would say your best bet is to come into a turn hot and just take their line away buy squaring off into their line, try not to touch and it will be considered clean. If that doesn't work and you are that type of person you don't have much choice but to clip the front wheel of the person you are trying to pass as you square off the turn.

It sounds to me like you did what you needed to do. You applied enough pressure that he was riding out of his comfort zone and couldn't hang on.

As far as the yelling goes... I think it's only for girls and slow guys. I had a special way I handled guys who would yell and panic rev in the quiet part of the turn or on the hole shot. When I knew they were following me into a turn that really only had one good line, preferably with a deep rut or grove I would slow down just enough so they would think OK nows the time to pass, they would yell or panic rev and I would break check them hard enough they would run into the back tire and fall over. Then at the end of the race I made sure I thanked them for yelling at me and ask them; by the way where did you finish?

This whole thread is a little on the tongue and cheek side, so lets not get too serious here....k?

As far as the yelling goes... I think it's only for girls and slow guys. I had a special way I handled guys who would yell and panic rev in the quiet part of the turn or on the hole shot. When I knew they were following me into a turn that really only had one good line, preferably with a deep rut or grove I would slow down just enough so they would think OK nows the time to pass, they would yell or panic rev and I would break check them hard enough they would run into the back tire and fall over. Then at the end of the race I made sure I thanked them for yelling at me and ask them; by the way where did you finish?

Remember what comes around goes around.

I figure if I keep poking my wheel up alongside another guy for a couple laps and can't get by, a clean, block pass is cool. Kinda like, sorry but...

Another way is to hitch onto another guy as he blows by you. You have to ride your ass off to stay with him but when he blows by the next guy, you're right there with him. (Although, one time I was on the same track as Johnny O'Mara and he was a freaking blur when he blew by me...)

going into a turn, take the line a little to the inside, when he goes to completely turn, lock your rear tire up and slide the rear end right in front of him, causing him to slow down, then accelerate and take a big lead, as he's bound to try the same thing!

NOT,You do not want to block pass someone like this,remember what comes around goes around.I would say do not follow his or hers line,poke a tire in on him and let him know you are there,you know where your fast parts are and just overtake him in your fast spot,RIDE CLEAN BRUDAH:thumbsup:

Whats so bad about a block pass? Im not talking about cleaning him out but to get by it seems reasonable? I think racing like that is fun, going back and forth with a rider close to you is an absolute blast.

Whats so bad about a block pass? Im not talking about cleaning him out but to get by it seems reasonable? I think racing like that is fun, going back and forth with a rider close to you is an absolute blast.

block passing is a good way to get people hurt,if you cannot over take someone clean why do it dirty?

Like I said Im not talking about cleaning him out, but taking away there line and not letting them take off out of the corner isnt all that dangerous.