Sign in to follow this  

Choke cable replacement -> pull knob

I did a search. To my surprise I was greeted with "your request returned no results".

So I did it again to make sure I was spelling it right. This time I got results, but nothing of value.

Is there any after market pull-knob style choke dohickey for the TTR225? For the cost of cables, I might was well invest in a different carb.

Hey guess what I found out! Kawasaki's Super Sherpa uses the exact same carb, with the exact same stupid ass cable!

Kawi part: 54017-1196 $18.96

Yamaha 2TY-F6330-00-00 $31.98 :banana:

It looks like, looks like a KLR250 carb might be the ticket. Buying the parts needed from Kawasaki is going to be too expensive.

Edited by Smacaroni

Smacaroni,

Does this fit onto the 125 carb? I see its for the XT225. Just wondering if there is enough clearance down there. The bike is an 03TTR125. Thanks!

I don't know.

Yamaha does not list the same part number for the choke components (called "starter set") for the TTR225 3RW-1410A-10-00 as the 125.

Rambling thought switched to ON.

I do however believe this is the same set up the Kawi Super Sherpa uses, so I'm guessing Yamaha and Kawi sometimes use the same suppliers even if it's not widely known.

I tried a KX pull knob on our TTR, it was close but not quite. It wouldn't surprise me if the slightly smaller KX component would fit on the TTR125 carb.

Rambling thought OFF.

If you have any way to measure the thread diameter, thread pitch and choke plunger diameter and depth, I'll happily measure the KX piece I didn't use to see if it would fit.

OTOH, it's $12 for the XT pull knob, I'd be willing to try it as a shot in the dark too.

Take note, space isn't a concern, the choke cable takes up way more space than the pull knob does. The problem is being able to reach it. It's easy to turn on or off when you can see it. It's darn near impossible to find when you're sitting on the 225 though.

The 225 choke comes off the side. The 125 comes off the top. The parts diagram makes it appear to be completely different between the two, the carbs are different designs. If I were desperate, I'd try a different carb, or try a franken carb, probably using the choke plunger and lever from a DR-Z 125 since those carbs look very, very similar on paper.

BTW, we have a DR-Z too, if you'd like me to measure that, just ask. It might take me a week or so to get that measurement though it's a running bike. The KX is easy since it's in a box.

Thanks for the quick response. I will measure the thread diameter and pitch when I get home tonight