Sign in to follow this  

2005 EXC200 on MX track

possibly getting an 05 EXC200, If i sell my 04 CRF250 this week end :lol:

I ride mostly trails, but how much should i expect to spend on suspension to make this bike usable on the MX track on week ends? I dont race or anything, just want to be able to go to the track with friends on the week ends and be able to hit some of the bigger jumps :banana: Reason i dont want to get an SX is because i think i would probably spend more $$$ putting a light on an SX than i would making the EXC able to be track worthy correct? A light is something i really want.

i cant afford 2 bikes! im 17 and can only afford to have 1 bike, if you want to buy me 2 bikes and pay for maintenance on both be my guest :banana:

I am the same age and have an 04 200exc and would not want it for a track bike...Why do you need a light so badly? A KTm 200 or 250xc or even a yz250 would be way better track bikes that are fully capable of off road...

200XC's are really hard to find around here, same with 250XC's... and YZ250's seem to hold their value and are out of my price range. Could i not just buy some SX springs off Ebay and use them in the EXC forks?

I don't know... Why is this EXC so cheap? Has it been abused? What is the price?

The EXC isnt really cheep, its just that you cant find an ktm XC's that aren't 08 or 09 which are way out of my price range. Every ktm that comes up is either 08-09 or an EXC. If i could find an XC that is priced right that is what i would get, but none seem to come up

I have a 200EXC, and it's perfect on the track for weekend fun and practice in addition to trails and enduro. Get the suspension dialled in and taking table tops, whoops etc is no problem. I'm 12 stone (168 pounds) without kit and the standard suspension copes really well. The one bike can do it good. If you're racing MX then that's when you could end up wanting for more.

I just think the suspension is way too soft stock. Getting it worked over would defiantly be worth it.

I find most stock suspenders lacking. So, getting them valved to the terrain you ride will help. The OC forks have their limitations though, trying to cover the track and trail. You can get them pretty darn good for either, but only ok for both. That's a good conversation to have with your tuner. Get them close enough so you can dial in some damping when hitting the jumps.

I agree they are pretty soft stock, for jumping.

I have a 200EXC, and it's perfect on the track for weekend fun and practice in addition to trails and enduro. Get the suspension dialled in and taking table tops, whoops etc is no problem. I'm 12 stone (168 pounds) without kit and the standard suspension copes really well. The one bike can do it good. If you're racing MX then that's when you could end up wanting for more.

I agree, the 200 XC-W (EXC) works decently as an occasional track bike. Before I bought my 450F, I used my '06 200 XC-W on the track for practice days, worked OK with these mods:

Firmer springs than stock, higher oil level in the forks than stock, and compression damping cranked up to max.

I think the 200EXC is an excellent choice too.

You really do need a light for trail riding in Canada in the Fall and Spring, and the EXC is a trail king. Best tool for the job.

The softer shocks and wide ratio transmission won't hold a good rider back on the track, especially for occasional use. I have SX shocks on my 300 and hate them for trail use.