Sign in to follow this  

California The forest service is broke( no money)

Can't build trails no money.

NEWS RELEASE

U.S. Forest Service ● Shasta-Trinity National Forest

Public Affairs & Communications

3644 Avtech Parkway, Redding, CA 96002 ● Voice (530) 226-2500 ● Web: www.fs.usda.gov/stnf

Release No. FS-030210-01 March 2, 2010

Public Comment Period Open on Grant Applications for State Funding

REDDING, Calif.-- The Shasta-Trinity National Forest (STNF) has submitted a preliminary grant application to the California State Parks’ Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Grant Program for a Ground Operations Project. The State is making funds available to agencies and organizations to properly manage Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) recreation by maintaining natural resources and providing OHV recreation over the long term.

If approved, the grant funds will be used to purchase and place signage to inform the public of designated motor vehicle use areas and restrictions once a decision has been made for STNF Motorized Travel Management. Funds will also be used to purchase and place barriers to prevent resource damage, to develop and distribute motor vehicle use maps and to develop and distribute public user guides.

The STNF Law Enforcement Patrol Division has also submitted a separate grant application. Approved funding would be used to provide additional staffing for personnel on the forest to provide education and compliance with state and federal regulations related to off-highway vehicle use.

The 30-day public review and comment period for the 2009/2010 Grant Program begins March 2, 2010 and ends April 5, 2010. The public may provide comment to both the applicant and the OHMVR Division by emailing the contact person listed on the preliminary application and copying the OHMVR Division at OHVinfo@parks.ca.gov.

The grant application will be posted on the OHMVR website on March 2, 2010. To review the preliminary grant application, click on this link or paste it into your browser:

http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/

these bastards( the shasta trinity) want the ohv commision to give them money to close the forest and hire leos to patrol it. That is what I read so far, I am digging deeper, but please make you feelings known.

They don't want money to build trails or parks, only to close and patrol. I am going to start boycotting this forest system and it is all around me,

Modoc Nat forest actually encourages ohv use. Going to start going there instead.

F the STNF

close and patrol.

Another good reason to get a plate and quit funding our own demise!

Plate won't help on non-designated trails. Tahoe NFS is doing the same thing, getting a grant to keep us out. The money will be used to enforce and pattrol known riding areas that are not approved for travel. We are expected to know what is open and what is closed or face fines. Good luck reading there maps! Trails that have been around for years have been closed in Tahoe NF. Join Blue Ribbon, Corva or any groups that are fighting these recent closures. Would nice to see them spend millions on purchasing land for ohv use instead of spending millions to keep us out!!

So if there is no money to restrict or patrol will they close the forest to all greensticker?

If not then I would make comments to deny the grant proposals. If so I may want to hold the comments neither for nor against hoping things stay as they are minus the Record of Decision.

So another program backed by Obama (Forest Preservation vs. timber harvest) has an adverse impact on people and agencies. Whodda thought?

We need to make these corrupt :banana: so broke they can't afford to provide there government coffee!

Hey ZDawg, sure looks like you are reading it right to me. No grant requests for maintenance or other really important stuff? I'd say let them put up their closure signage and pay for their LEO on their own federal budget. The OHV grant funding is suposed to be bonus money, and I don't think their applications are worthy of a bonus paid for by the California OHV community.

2 local agencys have both applied for grants...

Both for enforcement of closures (one under the guise of helping OHV though even though its clear its an enforcement issue) $300,000+ between the two of them.

you do the math.

Call the man at the top of the release and spoke to him for a few minutes, and he agrees I am reading it right. He is new to this forest so I filled him on on the BS, i could go on for days about this, but my blood pressure meds are out.

these bastards( the shasta trinity) want the ohv commision to give them money to close the forest and hire leos to patrol it. That is what I read so far, I am digging deeper, but please make you feelings known.

They don't want money to build trails or parks, only to close and patrol. I am going to start boycotting this forest system and it is all around me,

F the STNF

Welcome to So Cal.

2 local agencys have both applied for grants...

Both for enforcement of closures (one under the guise of helping OHV though even though its clear its an enforcement issue) $300,000+ between the two of them.

you do the math.

Cops get new KTM's.

Laws on the books get enforced. New laws get made.

Cops get to make overtime so they can pad their retirement.

Cops get paid to ride on their days off.

Cops get to write tickets to help fund CA's deficit.

Green sticker money gets spent for LEO control of criminal element that's indemic in the OHV community.

LEO cops get paid to enforce the desert and mountains from those damn lawbreaking dirt bikers.

What's not to like? US government at work making the good ol US of A safe for all us to go outside in the saftey of our Prius's.....

:banana:

The good news is that KTM's and overtime are expensive. And $300k doesn't go as far as it used to. I suspect they'll go the way of the dinosaur soon enough and things will be back to normal for those who don't care what the USFS has to say.....

They don't want money to build trails or parks, only to close and patrol. I am going to start boycotting this forest system and it is all around me.

Be sure to send your comments in. The OHV Grand funds are supposed to provide balanced OHV opportunity.

With the passage of SB742, the COMMISSION has little say in the funding of the Grants. Three of the previous anti-OHV Commissioners quit when they lost control of the piggy bank.

Ride on

Brewster

I am sending comments in daily and passing the word to everyone I know.

Here is todays rant.

"Please do not give any state money to a federal agency to close our public land to us. I whole heartedly reject what the federal government is doing to our lands. They are tying to kill local economies and discourage people from living free. It appears as if they all want us to sit and a desk and enjoy the forest on a screensaver."

Post more here. so we can send these comments to our friends who want to comment but are too lazy to write their own.

• Like 1