Sign in to follow this  

Help with jumping

Hi all,

was on my first MX track today and just had some questions. Pics are below can you please critique. Also my questions are:

1. Are you supposed to stand before hitting the jump, or do you stay seated?

2. Should you try to keep your body upright while in the air?

3. Should I shift my weight forward or backward right before i go aireborne?

I was hitting some jumps in 1st gear to take it easy, but it felt too twitchy. So I switched to 2nd and it felt better. I don't know if I wasn't going fast enough or what, but the bike nosedived a few times and scared me.

Thanks for any constructive criticism.

Danny

6.jpg

5.jpg

You nosedived because you probably cut the throttle sometime during the launch of the jump. Definately DONT do that, you'll end up pile driving yourself and getting a nice handlebar shaped bruise across your thighs. and as for leaning forward or backward, that depends on the jump, and i'm not really good enough to give you an answer that work in all situations. but basically i stand forward on the bike (not leaning, but kind of just keeping your shoulders down) and just keep a hard acceleration or just even throttle (<---safer bet for learning) through the entire jump.

a really steep jump will require some other tactics. but basiaclly just keep an even throttle and you'll be fine... uhh hopefully

Hi all,

was on my first MX track today and just had some questions.

1. Are you supposed to stand before hitting the jump, or do you stay seated?

Stay standing with knees bent in your athletic position. Sitting down and jumping, aka, Seat Bouncing, is more of advanced technique used to clear jumps with a limited run typically.

2. Should you try to keep your body upright while in the air?

Yes, keep it upright in athletic position.

3. Should I shift my weight forward or backward.

Typically, you're right in the middle or center. If things go awry, being in the center will allow you to make adjustments.

I was hitting some jumps in 1st gear to take it easy, but it felt too twitchy. So I switched to 2nd and it felt better. I don't know if I wasn't going fast enough or what, but the bike nosedived a few times and scared me.

1st gear is for the pits :-) When your nose diving it means your letting off the gas too soon before. Take a look at this intro Semics clip:

http://absorbability.com/general/gs-mx-jump-launch-techniques-video-1/

Edited by revitup

oh and buy some good MX boots. i see you're wearing 3/4 work boots in the pic. if money is a problem, second hand stores usually have MX boots depending on where you live. the store will try to sell you the boots at near new prices, but you can talk them down a LOT.

I have TCX boots coming in the mail. They were delayed in shipment from CA, so they will be here this week.

thank you for the feedback, I welcome more! Great site

call up gary semics. he's the mx expert on here. he makes a whole series of dvd's and has a handbook. if you just want the how to jump videos, you can just get that.

One of the best things to do is take some time and watch riders hitting the same jump as you. Notice their body position, listen to their throttle control. Take some pictures and compare them to yours. You actually look better in your second picture. The first picture you're sitting too much. :banana:

oh yeah, get on the throttle before you land. it will make your return to earth softer, but you might find yourself changing your chain more often...

you look good so far. At the point you are at the best thing you can do is ride as often as possible. There is no substitute for seat time. IMO the most important thing at this point is to get comfortable on the bike. Keep practicing, don't ride over your head, remember to have fun and be safe.

thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to try and get back out there Saturday or Sunday. :banana:

pm me if you need boots. i have used ones sittin around that have alot of life left in them. if i have your size ill mail them to you free. as long as you pay shipping.

The most important part of the jump is where the bike actually leaves the ground, where you have the compression and rebound part of the jump. What gives you control at this critical part of the jump is your body movements and throttle control. Along with this body movement and throttle control is timing. The timing is so critical that the body movement and throttle control has to be an automatic reflex reaction. This is why it takes so much time and practice to learn to jump well. Key into the compressing and rebound part of the jump, move your body back a little as the rear wheel kicks up and blip the throttle a little at the same time. This will cause the front wheel to stay level or come up a little. If the front wheel is too high don’t move back as much or give it as much throttle. If you want the front end lower it’s just the opposite; don’t blip the throttle as much and don’t move back as much. When you want to accelerate after the landing it’s best to land with the throttle on. I have 2 Technique DVDs that cover Jumping and Whoops. You can see a free video preview of these and many others at: www.gsmxs.com or you can visit www.mxraceschool.com to see many more. :banana::thumbsup::lol:

i found that i could not be tought to jump on my bmx when i used to race bmx

i made the most progress when just free riding by myself, i went from nothing to 20ft triples in a short time on a bmx

main thing is, you need to work out what works when jumping, start small and itll be with you in no time

if youre doing a air wheelies tap the back brake while pulling in the clutch to bring you back and if going over endoing pin the throttle

so practise practise practise is the key to getting good and work at your own confidence level

great feedback, thank you

I'm just learning too. Start really small and work on everything else like ruts/corners/etc too... After all, jumping a 130 triple is really easy for anyone that can twist their right wrist.

It's the landing in one piece that takes a lot of experience.