Sign in to follow this  

1986 XR250R Baffle Removal

I've attempted to remove the baffle / insert on the muffler on my 1986 XR250R but I can't get the thing off! The way the angled bolts are make me unable to get a socket on them and I can't even find the right size wrench to fit. It also appears that one of the bolts could be welded? I've even tried a little bit of heat , with no avail?! Vice grips don't work, either... :banana:

Do you have any suggestions?

The tip looks similar to the link below, but mine still appears different. I will get a picture when I have time, but mine has 2 bolts on the side like that bit the tip extends out a little more than this one and makes it hard to get to the bolts. The bolts are still in the same spot, but the bolts on mine appear to keep it from rotating but I'm not sure if one of the bolts is welded or something to it... If I were to rotate the insert it would be able to come out but I've tried that too

http://www.motorecycler.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/g/e/gedc0736.jpg

Edited by n0f3ai2

The insert is two pieces; a little tip on the outside and the insert that fits inside the muffler. And yes with the tip in place there is not much room to get a wrench on the bolts. The bolt threads get corroded and are sometimes stubborn so you will need a 8mm box wrench and some pentrating oil.

If the bolt spins but doesn't unscrew then the nutplate tack weld failed and you will need to grind the head off the bolt. That is what happened to one bolt on my XR250 muffler, I replaced the nut plate with a pop rivet nut plate and used a machine screw (what I had handy).

The little tip will rotate and come off, use a pair of pliers. The insert is harder to get out because of carbon buildup, I used a pair of vise grips on the tube and a few blows on the vise grips with a hammer to break it lose. The blows were in the direction to pull the insert out.

Good luck

I'm having the same trouble wit my 1989 xr250r but my muffler doesn't have the small insert in the end, it's just a straight hole into the muffler. My bike came like this but if I were in your situation I would drill out the bolts and replace them with pop rivets.

yeh, mine were a bear to get out too. Box end wrench is the only thing that will work. Soak em with penetrating oil.

What do you want to do with it? Will be very loud without the baffle in it.

What the last poster said, lots of people take off the stock mufflers on newer bikes to put aftermarket on. You can likely pick up a mint condition more modern looking, smaller muffler for $30 or 40.

This is a oem 400 muffler on my 85 350 versus the stocker.

DSC00037-2.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

Do any of you know if a '96-'04 XR250 muffler will fit an '86? I can't imagine they will be much different

yeh, mine were a bear to get out too. Box end wrench is the only thing that will work. Soak em with penetrating oil.

What do you want to do with it? Will be very loud without the baffle in it.

What the last poster said, lots of people take off the stock mufflers on newer bikes to put aftermarket on. You can likely pick up a mint condition more modern looking, smaller muffler for $30 or 40.

This is a oem 400 muffler on my 85 350 versus the stocker.

DSC00037-2.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

XR350R'S WHAT BEASTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have taken the little baffle thing out on my 84 250RF and im wondering if this will efect the carbs. e.g running to lean or to rich ect ect... can someone help me with this please as i dont want to damage the engine!!!??

MEAN 350 though man ill give you credit for that!!!!

Edited by 84XR250R

I took the baffle out of my '91.

Couple of problems, there were two spot welds as well as the bolts. I took a dremel tool to those. I didn't have a problem getting a box-end wrench on the bolts, but if you do you can take a dremel to the edge of the thing getting in the way. However the bolts tend to be rusted in, and the surrounding area tends to be weak and rusty, so when I finally took the bolts out one came out OK and the other just broke the surrounding area apart. Also taking the carbon door off the bottom also caused the surrounding area to just rip apart. So, if I can't find a decent newer stock muffler, I will be wrapping the thing in muffler repair tape. Should look cool. :thumbsup: