Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Why the Empty Gates- sad for chad

-Why is it that the AMA is not filling the gates with alternates at Supercross Events? I think that is the most rediculous thing in the world.

-They should make a ruling that a rider must notify the AMA in advance if he is not going to ride the night show, after qualifying for it.

-Chad Reed's "look what i can do" drama queen show last week was total crap. If he's gonna qualify for the show, he should ride the show. And if he's not gonna ride, the next guy on the bubble should be put in.... Empty gates just make the sport look weak. Also WEAK on his part to go and do that anyway, taking a hard working guys spot in the program, just so he could get some attention. It is an HONOR to qualify for the night show, not a right, and Chad Reed's stunt last week was a total PUNK-ASS move. :banana:

-Also if a rider is injured: ie JLaw, same should go, if you are qualified and not gonna ride, the next guy out should be put in. Seems like common sense to me.

-Reed is a great rider, and I respect what he has accomplished over the years, but last week was no accomplishment. I hope he really can come back and run up front to make the racing better. But I also hope things change so this sort of thing doesn't keep happening.

Edited by MX926
  • Like 2

It is an HONOR to qualify for the night show, not a right, and Chad Reed's stunt last week was a total PUNK-ASS move.

What crap. Reed is a publicity draw card by doing what he did. That WAS good for the sport. Plus Chad might believe he needs to slide back into the intense racing environment. It's not so easy as you might think for an elite athlete and skilled racer to come back from time away and flick a switch with mental and physical modes. Everyone needs some transition time. One race meeting - give him a break!

Far too many empty gates recently. Let them ride. :banana:

I had seen the same empty gates. and asked myself the same question, but there have been alot of injuries. Not just to Reed, Stewart, but more down the list. As far as the Reed situation I think it was a fabricated drama thing between the AMA and SPEED. They all milked it pretty hard. And it did the job. We now have a polarizing opinion about it and we are talking more about motocross. I wouldn't blame Reed so much because this stuff goes through PR people before they air a story like that. Blame the PR. As far as the series goes. I am not sure anyone is going to able to out race RV for the title. If Reed and Stewart come back, they may be spoilers and make the points race interesting. But when RV charges, no one is faster on the track, he built his game to beat Bubba. This being said I wouldn't be suprised if Reed and Stewart decided to take the rest of the series off because they will have "nothing to gain" like Reed kept alluding to in the last broadcast.

What crap. Reed is a publicity draw card by doing what he did. That WAS good for the sport. Plus Chad might believe he needs to slide back into the intense racing environment. It's not so easy as you might think for an elite athlete and skilled racer to come back from time away and flick a switch with mental and physical modes. Everyone needs some transition time. One race meeting - give him a break!

This is about the most over used term out there ... Why is it OK to mislead the fans? ... I understand he needs time to come back but after ~3 laps he knows the answer if not before ... He is a PRO remember? I think he knows what its gonna take to get back out there ... He has other tracks to ride on to find his fitness condition also ... Teasing is not needed ... But it is not necessarily a bad thing either ....

Everyone keeps forgetting these guys are employees, just like me and you if you have a job ... They don't have the option of not working any more than you or me unless they break their contract ... To say I'm not gonna ride any more this year because I can't be champ, is very wrong at the least... He should get out there and help his teammate RV at the very least and I'm sure he is being told that now or he will have a short stay with this team also.

He could have easily have been told to go out and make an appearance knowing full well he was not going to race ... we'll never know 4 sure ... why the empty gates? Not sure but I bet some privateer would have lined up there if asked ...

The ama has no competition so they do the minimum for the sport..

Edited by ray_ray

I agree. I don't know why people don't like Chad. I think he is a great rider and great for the sport. Maybe all the gripers should go show CR how to ride and shut their mouths. I agree that the gate should be filled, but I think that if anybody should have a choice wether to race or not, it should be a top pro coming back from injury.

My biggest beef with him was his comment that he "HAD to be there to sign autographs anyway". :lol: Glad I'm not much of a Reed fan, because if I was, I would feel very unappreciated. What a tool!! And don't give me any of that "he's an employee like you and me" BS. That comment was a slap in the face to anyone who waited in line to see their favorite rider, only to be so discourtiously cast aside as an annoying part of the sport that he must soldier through. :banana::banana:

My biggest beef with him was his comment that he "HAD to be there to sign autographs anyway". :lol: Glad I'm not much of a Reed fan, because if I was, I would feel very unappreciated. What a tool!! And don't give me any of that "he's an employee like you and me" BS. That comment was a slap in the face to anyone who waited in line to see their favorite rider, only to be so discourtiously cast aside as an annoying part of the sport that he must soldier through. :banana::banana:

Good point you make because he does have obligations past you or me on a more personal level with his fans..

Still, he has a boss like you or me ... some of us like going to work and doing a good job and some of us show up because we have to ... that is the difference ... lol

He could have easily have been told to do this by his boss knowing full well he was not gonna ride in an effort to try to sell more tickets ... AKA ... you been played! ... OR maybe he played them into thinking he was gonna ride? lol

You obviously didn't read any of his interviews during the week prior... He kept saying that he's going to ride at Daytona whether he races or not. He said he was tired of watching everyone else ride/race while he just has to sit there and sign autographs. This was in no way a rub toward the fans... he just wants to be on the track mixing it up!

Reed likes the fans and has no problems signing autographs.

I'd love to load up my bike, head out to the track or desert, then sit there all day watching my friends ride... not!

-Why is it that the AMA is not filling the gates with alternates at Supercross Events? I think that is the most rediculous thing in the world.

-They should make a ruling that a rider must notify the AMA in advance if he is not going to ride the night show, after qualifying for it.

-Chad Reed's "look what i can do" drama queen show last week was total crap. If he's gonna qualify for the show, he should ride the show. And if he's not gonna ride, the next guy on the bubble should be put in.... Empty gates just make the sport look weak. Also WEAK on his part to go and do that anyway, taking a hard working guys spot in the program, just so he could get some attention. It is an HONOR to qualify for the night show, not a right, and Chad Reed's stunt last week was a total PUNK-ASS move. :banana:

-Also if a rider is injured: ie JLaw, same should go, if you are qualified and not gonna ride, the next guy out should be put in. Seems like common sense to me.

-Reed is a great rider, and I respect what he has accomplished over the years, but last week was no accomplishment. I hope he really can come back and run up front to make the racing better. But I also hope things change so this sort of thing doesn't keep happening.

Blame the AMA. Get off Reed's ass. He can go out and ride practice/timed qualifying every week of every year if he wants to... If someone doesn't make the night show they should have been faster... if that person feels he should be in the night show because someone who qualified decides not to race/get's injured/etc, he should take it up with the AMA and their stupid rules.

Another poorly disquised I hate Reed thread on TT, so now it's Reed's fault the gates are empty. Give me a break, maybe he should of just said he had a tummy complaint and couldn't carry on, would that have made it better for the Nay say'ers.:banana:

very good point... sell show for xyz, and they do not provide. I would correct the con tract language to such.

I have seen this done where it creates fiscal loss.

i agree with some of you, not reeds fault at all.

what do you say to a guy who qualifies for LL's and then doesnt go? he took a spot that someone else could have had?

way to many guys on here crying about this shit ona daily basis. when was the last time most of you were even on a track?

i was last weekend, the weekend before that, and will be this weekend racing.

far to many keyboard critics.

js this, reed that, rv, rd ,etc....

this is by far the best sx season in many years and people still find shit to complain about.

i agree with some of you, not reeds fault at all.

what do you say to a guy who qualifies for LL's and then doesnt go? he took a spot that someone else could have had?

way to many guys on here crying about this shit ona daily basis. when was the last time most of you were even on a track?

i was last weekend, the weekend before that, and will be this weekend racing.

far to many keyboard critics.

js this, reed that, rv, rd ,etc....

this is by far the best sx season in many years and people still find shit to complain about.

And at Loretta Lynn's they have alternates for just that reason, to fill the gate.

i raced LL's, there were empty gates when i was there.

if a guy who is being paid to be ther eand want to get some track time in, then so be it. if ya really want to make the show, race a little faster.

Then you get the thread that belly-aches that guys are roving obstructions that fill the race line and ignore the blue-flags. I can see how it makes the start look better, but the last thing you need is some kamikaze character flyin' into the first turn with nothing in his mind but a few laps of TV-time. Either that or he KO's a contender and his wish is granted anyway.

The class of the field is so much better than 10th-20th right now, just placing more slow bikes out there is not doing anything for the show. It just becomes a distraction.

These racers are professionals who lay-it all out on the line, but in doing so a certain degree of respect ( I know the commitment to this point may be questioned at times)exists between the elite, and injecting underachievers in there may make everyone a little more twitchy.

IMO when a guy doesn't race the night show they should move up the field to fill the gate.

Then you get the thread that belly-aches that guys are roving obstructions that fill the race line and ignore the blue-flags. I can see how it makes the start look better, but the last thing you need is some kamikaze character flyin' into the first turn with nothing in his mind but a few laps of TV-time. Either that or he KO's a contender and his wish is granted anyway.

The class of the field is so much better than 10th-20th right now, just placing more slow bikes out there is not doing anything for the show. It just becomes a distraction.

These racers are professionals who lay-it all out on the line, but in doing so a certain degree of respect ( I know the commitment to this point may be questioned at times)exists between the elite, and injecting underachievers in there may make everyone a little more twitchy.

I would tend to agree with what you said.....IF

IF we had seen any non-top ten riders causing first turn pile ups (Since when do privateers get holeshots in SX?)

IF the lappers in the main causing obstructions this year had been very back of the pack racers.

IF we weren't talking about riders like Dan Reardon, Cole Siebler, Ryan Clark, Kyle Partridge, Billy Payne, etc.

IF we had ever seen a rider dumb enough to kamikaze a contender just for some publicity.

Edited by Bryan Bosch