Sign in to follow this  

New Truck Feedback

Currently I have a 2003 Dodge Ram for dirt-bike, Home Depot runs, etc. I rarely wash it but it's in perfect condition. It's fully paid off, but it's a bit rough around the edges.

My dilemma is this, I want a comfortable ride to drive when I'm not getting dirty. In other words, "something nice", but I don't want two cars. I recently went to the truck dealerships to see what they offer. The top of the line trucks with all the goodies can run up to 55-60K but they are truly junk in my opinion. The GMC Denali had VERY loud wind noise at highway speeds (the salesman said they all do that), the Ford F150 Platinum was just OK. What am I missing???? I mean, we're talking new BMW 5-series money here. But, the build quality is on a completely different level.

Driving the best these companies had to offer really illustrated why the American manufacturers are struggling so much. I'd hate to think that Toyota and Nissans offerings are better trucks for the money. But unfortunately, that may be the case.

What is your experience with these trucks? If you were in my position what would you get or look in to?

Thanks in advance

I gotta 2000 Superduty F250 Crew....been perfect for me. Cost a lot, but it's delivered. If I was going to buy today though, that new Toyota is the best for the $.

Just my opinion

Toyota's are nice and I like the Titan's, but if your just looking to throw money away they make a Lincoln version of the F-150.

Did drive a new Dodge? What about a Toyota?

The Dodge service dept's treatment of customers (myself included) has steered me away from dodge and their products.

I sound pretty picky I know. But, the arrogance of the American car companies has me upset. I want to give my business and dollars to this country but they make it hard to do so.

As for Toyota, The trucks just feel too, well Japanese...

Maybe I should just give my truck a bath...:banana:

Thanks anyway

Sounds to me you want the best of both worlds. AKA something impossible to have, no matter what the company. You want a luxury car that can haul dirt bikes and the occasional hard-ware store visits. Not gonna find one if you are set on a work truck.

Wind noise will never be gone in a truck that sits high off the ground with large tires. Lets just say aerodynamics takes a backseat when designing them.

It honestly just sounds like you're really really picky. I drive a 99' Dakota that vibrates more than a jackhammer and has the fuel consumption comparable to the NASA space shuttle. When the road is bumpy, I'll be the first to find out.

Getting the chance to drive one of the newer trucks that doesn't have an after market exhaust that wakes the dead, actual new-age suspension, and an engine that isn't always in "OMG LETS HAUL ASS" mode makes ME feel like I'm driving a BMW with a lift and a bed.

You should look into buying something like a luxury SUV/sedan and a trailer. Trucks probably aren't for you. No matter how much money you throw at it, it is still a truck, not a luxury vehicle.

If you want to make them quieter, you can try sound deadning the whole interior with butyl deadning mats and sound absorbing foam. Trucks typically dont get much insulation between metal body parts and plastic interior panels.

Ridgeline's are nice, probably going to be my next purchase. Only another 150,000 to go on the Subaru before its time to retire it.

So did you drive the new Tundra?...

The Dodge service dept's treatment of customers (myself included) has steered me away from dodge and their products.

I sound pretty picky I know. But, the arrogance of the American car companies has me upset. I want to give my business and dollars to this country but they make it hard to do so.

Maybe I should just give my truck a bath...:banana:

Thanks anyway

Thats too bad the new Dodge is actually really nice and a fully loaded one is cheaper than the other trucks you mention. I know what you mean about the Toyotas they are kinda goofy tonka truck funky. i saw thread on here about the tailgates falling apart from loading bike ect in the back??

Thats too bad the new Dodge is actually really nice and a fully loaded one is cheaper than the other trucks you mention. I know what you mean about the Toyotas they are kinda goofy tonka truck funky. i saw thread on here about the tailgates falling apart from loading bike ect in the back??

Yeah, and not to mention that the Tundras just got recalled due to extensive frame rusting. So bad that the spare tire falls off!

Listen up auto makers... If you are going to charge 50+K for something, I want ALL the parts to stay attached to it! Or am I asking for too much?

So did you drive the new Tundra?...

obviously not or he wouldn't make that comment. The new tundra is 100% a great truck. almost 11000 pound tow capacity and nice enough to take your wife to a evening on the town.

• Like 1

my dad loves his tundra!! he has the 5.7 v8 and that thing HAULS!!!

realllllllyyyyy smooth ride ride too.

• Like 1

obviously not or he wouldn't make that comment. The new tundra is 100% a great truck. almost 11000 pound tow capacity and nice enough to take your wife to a evening on the town.

Thats what I was thinking. I know only a handful of people that actually drove the Tundra with an open mind that didn't buy one afterwards.

I love mine, pull the boat, pull the enclosed trailer, take the wifey out to eat, surprise Mustangs and Camaro's at the local drag strip, etc, etc.. It does everything very well.

Ridgeline's are nice, probably going to be my next purchase. Only another 150,000 to go on the Subaru before its time to retire it.

Don't worry, you'll blow a head gasket wayyy before that :banana:

Yeah, and not to mention that the Tundras just got recalled due to extensive frame rusting. So bad that the spare tire falls off!

Listen up auto makers... If you are going to charge 50+K for something, I want ALL the parts to stay attached to it! Or am I asking for too much?

That was the old ones, the Gen I versions (the mini-truck ones).

And it's rarely found in CA, unless you use the truck for a deep sea diving platform.

I will agree, the prices of the product do not reflect the quality or the longevity one should expect from something this expensive.