Sign in to follow this  

Want to build my own Drop Down Toy Hauler BEd - HELP ??

I just purchased a cargo trailer and I want to build my own drop down bed. I'm not talking about the side beds, but the one that drops down from the ceiling. It doesn't look that hard, I might need help on what hardware I would need. Wondering if anyone else has done it and if they would be willing to share.

Thanks

Are you wanting something that will suck up to the ceiling when you are not using it?

If so, you might want some lift cylinders to help get it to the ceiling and some latches to keep it there. Also, something strong for it to rest on when you are sleeping in it.

torch

My dad uses a winch system in his toy hauler. It raises the bed all the way snug to the ceiling, where he set up some removeable braces to keep it safely up there. When he and my mom want to go to bed, he pushes a button, lowers the bed either to the ground, if no one else wants to sleep under them, or lowers it to about 3.5 - 4 ft off the ground. The braces have a slot for that height to keep it from falling. He also built a step for my mom so she could get into the bed :banana:

He has the controls stored away in a cupboard, the controls have a key so no one can accidentally hit a button and send the bed to the bottom, and the winch is stored under the trailer with the cables running up either side of the back door. It took him some time to get the cables set evenly on both sides, but now it's done, it's pretty awesome. I'll try to get pics next time I'm at my parent's house.

YOu could seek out the components for a motor lifted queen beds that are on all the new toy haulers, or you could use 4 gas struts , 2 per side, to manually assist with raising the queen bed back up. If you do use the electric lift setup, you can do two queens electrically lifted, where the lower bed can also serve as a bench seat facing both directions. I like the double queens b/c you can space them apart during travel to be used as two shelves & you now can put all sorts of camping gear, riding gear, extra ez up tents., you name it. It's like having an extra set of heavy duty shelves for cargo space for free.

Thanks for the input. I was planning on building a toyhauler type camper out of my cargo trailer but now wondering if it is worth the money. I've already taken down the walls and put in insulation. I just started adding up the cost of RV supplies like fridge, oven, water....and it is a big project especially if you have to pay full price for all of the parts. I really wanted to add some windows but now I might just sell the trailer and buy a toyhauler. Anyone else have any luck attempting this? What are your thoughts? THanks