Sign in to follow this  

Clarke Gas Tank

I installed a Clarke 3.9 gallon fuel tank, followed the instructions and read a few threads on TT about the install. The problem I'm having is the left fork leg is hitting the tank close to where the shroud is. I did not have any trouble with getting the tank on the only thing that gave me a little trouble was getting the bolts to start at the rear of the tank. I've had it off a couple times and can't seem to figure out what is wrong. Any ideas would be much appreicated.

I don't think you are seated properly on the support grommets and the front of the tank isn't sitting correctly. You must be resting on the rads as well.

is it hitting when the forks are fully turned to the left cause mine does the same thing. not really pressing against it but just touching it slightly.

I checked the rubber grommets that the tank slides forwards into with a small mirror and a flashlight and they are aligned like there suppose to be. I've taken the tank on and off about five times now with the same result. The fork contacts and pushes on the tank slighty just before hitting the steering stop. The tank is not touching the rads. anywhere.

Edited by lw414
added comments

Well there you go. Mine clears not hugely but it clears. I had not seen any posts about contact before.

Well there you go. Mine clears not hugely but it clears. I had not seen any posts about contact before.

you may want to make sure the screws holding the saddles onto the clarke tank have not come loose..... IIRC there may also be some adjustability built into those saddles which could let you position the tank a bit

locktite those screws if you want them to stick around.

FRank

I had to adjust my saddles on my Clarke tank as well. It took some time, but eventually the tank sits pretty good with no clearance issues. The rear bolts are snug, but work. Good idea about the locktite. Will do that the next time I have the tank off.

the bug

Thanks for the help, I adjusted the saddles around a little but I finally became frustrated with it and left it alone for last night. I think I am going to contact Clarke today and see what they have to say. I used the search on here and did not find anyone else who has had this problem. Thanks again for the help.

maybe a stupid question-

is there a problem not adding a vent hose to the stock clarke cap?

only if you like huffing fuel vapors.just get 12" or so length of 1/4" tygon,vinyl or rubber fuel hose to vent the cap behind the headlight shroud.

i upgraded to a honda xr650r fuel cap w/vent hose and it works super on the clarke tank.the stock clarke cap doesn't last very long before it splits.ymmv