Sign in to follow this  

Stripped brake line clip screw fix?

The front rear brake clip holder on the swingarm has stripped out. I went to the hardware store to find a 1 size larger bolt and tap, but couldn't find anything that would look 'right'.

Anyone have any quick ideas or know what would be the next size up bolt I could use, maybe factory type, so I could keep it looking correct?

If not, I may just have to JB weld it. :banana:

I will keep that as a last resort. I don't really like rigging stuff.

it is a 5mm bolt stock, wont a 6mm work?

I will give that a try. I haven't really messed with it. It will have to be tapped as the threads are completely gone out of the swingarm.

if you could get the hole welded most of the way up, it could be drilled and tapped again in the original size, or possibly like you said jb weld and tap again

I am not looking at the bike right now, but wouldn't a helicoil work well there using the original size screw. Then it would be factory or better because helicoils are much stronger then the original screw going into aluminum and it would be easier to fix.

41camU-v5JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I had a stripped hole in the bottom of the forks for the roost guards and fixed it with a helicoil. It was a little tougher there because the hole couldn't go all the way through or the fork would blow out all the oil and the hole was only a few millimeters deep with a pretty short screw. I had to use a bottom hole drill and bottoming helicoil tap and cut off a few of the threads form the helicoil with a dermal cut off wheel from the shortest insert I had in stock.

Gary

The screw I helicoiled for the fork guards was an M6 and I cut off the helicoil to 3 or 4 threads to fit the shallow depth.

I checked and I have a M5x0.8 helicoil set. I got it at a good auto parts store, NAPA I think so they are redialy available.

Gary

Im thinking a hole for a 5mm heli would be bigger than a 6mm threaded hole, so I would try a 6mm first and if it didnt work then a heli to use the stock 5mm size. A 6mm tap is cheap.

You're correct.

Drill size for M6x1.0 Bolt= 5.2mm = 0.2047"

The OD of the tap for a M6 thread is .24" or ~6mm

so you should still be OK to step up to a 5mm Helicoil

Drill size for M5x0.8 Helicoil = 1/4" = 0.250"

Will the M6 bolt fit though the clip? It's .040" bigger. Could drill it out too I guess.

Gary

Edited by Gary jp4

I like having the Helicoil set around. Can't stand to need on and not have it when working on a bike. I got the M5 and M6 Helicoil sets just to have on hand and have used both, in the last year, with all the metric stuff I work on.

Agreed, they are expensive though.

I think I paid about $30 for the set.

Here is a set for $22.50. http://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5546-5-Metric-Coarse-Thread/dp/B000BB8XLG

Gary

Edited by Gary jp4

Gmoss,

If you want to come by Nashville I'll give you one. Heck, I'll put it in for you.:banana:

Gary

haha, thanks! But I think I will stay on this side of the mountain. :lol:

Cheaper is better at this point. If the 6mm doesn't work, then helicoil would be a simple progression.

Thanks guys!:banana:

I believe the top of the swing arm is too thin for a helicoil. Only about 2-3mm thick if I recall right. Welding it and re-drilling or just re-drilling and tapping another hole 7mm away from the first one and fill the original with JB weld to hide it.

I believe the top of the swing arm is too thin for a helicoil. Only about 2-3mm thick if I recall right. Welding it and re-drilling or just re-drilling and tapping another hole 7mm away from the first one and fill the original with JB weld to hide it.

there's 2 holes there, so no relocating for me. I will likely just jb weld the hole and tap, or tap it larger.

gmoss,

Since there's not a lot of force on that bolt, have you thought about using a metric well nut? These are those little rubber plugs used to hold the windscreen on most street bikes. The plug presses into the hole and when the screwis tightened, the plug compresses and tightens, similar to certain wall anchors used to hang a picture. Something like this

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/437/20786/ITEM/Hotbodies-Racing-Well-Nuts.aspx

I've bought them individually for about $1 a piece.

• Like 1