SSW/MRD Heat sheild...

When I ordered my new version SSW/MRD Dave offered me a heat shield for $25. I took it happily and after getting it powder coated black and installed, this is how it looks...

DRCheatshieldblack.JPG

No idea how well it works, but I placed it as forward as I could without opening up a big gap on the back side to hopefully not melt anything on the pipe when I have my leg out.

When I ordered my new version SSW/MRD Dave offered me a heat shield for $25. I took it happily and after getting it powder coated black and installed, this is how it looks...

DRCheatshieldblack.JPG

No idea how well it works, but I placed it as forward as I could without opening up a big gap on the back side to hopefully not melt anything on the pipe when I have my leg out.

Looks great..... I`m amazed how Dave continues to offer such great products and support for such affordable money.......:banana::worthy:

Erling

Are you guys who aren't running a heat shield not worried about textiles sticking to your pipe!

After burning hole in two of my riding pants ,I got the drc shield.

If I had been smarter , I should have put it on before riding:banghead:

does the standard DR-Z heatshield also fit?

You can ask Dave for the mounts I did when I bought the pipe. Nice product by itself. Then the stocker mounts up easy. The stocker is so ugly though that's why I ordered the DRC.

You can ask Dave for the mounts I did when I bought the pipe. Nice product by itself. Then the stocker mounts up easy. The stocker is so ugly though that's why I ordered the DRC.

It's not that bad. I use the "stock" heatshield on mine.

The DRC that Dave offers is cheap enough, and it looks good as well. :banana:

It's not that bad. I use the "stock" heatshield on mine.

The DRC that Dave offers is cheap enough, and it looks good as well. :banana:

It's ugly in the context of a nice new shiny aftermarket pipe and a dull grey 7 year old stock lawyer designed sheild.?

Just don't look right man.

I had the DRC shield on mine, which is really tight to put on. It didn't offer enough protection and I still burnt my boot on the pipe. I'm going to go with the exhaust heat wrap, too. I don't care that much about the looks...just don't want to melt stuff anymore!

• 4 weeks later...
Are you guys who aren't running a heat shield not worried about textiles sticking to your pipe!

I have done over 10000 km of riding since installing the MRD/SSW with no heat shield and have never burnt/singed or even felt the heat of the pipe on my leg. I usually wear big shin guards under jeans and I sit quite close to the tank. And I grip the tank/shrouds so much I have worn through the tank' s clear coat and started to work into the tank decals , as well as wear out the inside knees of the jeans. So maybe the answer for you guys is not a heat shield but maybe it is to just stop wearing synthetics. If it melts close to the pipe think about the way it will disentigrate and melt to your leg when the friction of pavement starts to heat it when sliding across it.

But hey its your bike and if you want to add a few more ounces of weight and ugly up a beautiful pipe so you can ride in shorts or track pants or something, give'r.

If it melts close to the pipe think about the way it will disentigrate and melt to your leg when the friction of pavement starts to heat it when sliding across it.

If you generate 800F of heat sliding across pavement you went down doing Mach 3.4 and blisters are the least of your worries.

And if you want to see something "disentigrate" on contact with pavement, try denim. As in blue jeans. Or would you just like to see my scars?

Enlighten me. What's it do to metal??

heat wrap causes the wrapped area to run red hot because heat cant escape , and it puts extra heat through the muffler shortening the packing life ,SS hold's up to header wrap better than mild steel or TI and wont distort or crack as quick , wrapping just the area for pant protection is not too bad , but wrapping the entire system would cause heat problems in the muffler for sure