Sign in to follow this  

New 2009 or 2010

I currently have a 2008 450, but now that I am retired I will spend a lot of time riding in Colorado at 5300 feet and in California at sea level. Looking at buying a FI 450 so I don't have to mess with the jetting issue.

Here is my question, I can pick up a new 2009 for a great price, I am a 225 pound old guy so I am planning on revalving the shock and forks, installing a full system yosh pipe. Due to the savings on the 2009 vs the 2010 I can do the upgrades for about the same as the cost for the stock 2010. 90% of my riding is track. Does this sound like a good plan or would you guys pop for the 2010.

What is your feeling about the 2009? Thanks

JMHO: You can do a lot of jetting for the cost difference between your bike & a new one. Isn't the 2008 CRF one of the best all time 450's?

Yeah, I really like the 2008 450, I am keeping it, my son was riding a 250 but he is now 6'2" and 205 and has out grown the 250, my son is getting the 08 and Dad is getting the new bike:ride:

Get the 09!! The only difference between the 09 and 10 is a little different fuel map, and shock piston. Like you said you can revalve the suspension and put a whole exhaust on for the difference! The 2010 has different de-compression system on the cam that is suppose to help it better easier, but I have not thought my 09 was hard to start. Send Eddie your ECM, he is right there in Denver and he will re-map it for your elevation. Once you ride an FI bike you will wonder how we never dealt with carbs! Let us know what you decide.

Get the 09!! The only difference between the 09 and 10 is a little different fuel map, and shock piston. Like you said you can revalve the suspension and put a whole exhaust on for the difference! The 2010 has different de-compression system on the cam that is suppose to help it better easier, but I have not thought my 09 was hard to start. Send Eddie your ECM, he is right there in Denver and he will re-map it for your elevation. Once you ride an FI bike you will wonder how we never dealt with carbs! Let us know what you decide.

Thanks for your input, I am really leaning towards the 09 for all your above reasons. If Eddie re-maps the ECM for Colorado, will I have problems with the bike if I take it to California at sea level, will I need to remap or will it self adjust for the altitude change.

Thanks for your input, I am really leaning towards the 09 for all your above reasons. If Eddie re-maps the ECM for Colorado, will I have problems with the bike if I take it to California at sea level, will I need to remap or will it self adjust for the altitude change.

There is no O2 sensor so you will need a remap when going from sea level to 5000'.

There is no correction or tuning ability for altitude. With EFI is you no longer need to jet for altitude changes even if the jetting is electronic. Especially nice for dual sport bikes going up mountains and what not. The EFI does sample atmospheric.

There is no correction or remap needed for altitude changes.