Sign in to follow this  

'04 CRF250R complete engine rebuild

I've got my engine torn down, cleaned up and the new parts ready to go. Just seeing who's got some tips and tricks on the assembly?

Put it back togeather in the reverse of disasembly. MAke sure you get the cylinder honed to make sure your new rings seat in good. I would do a dry rebuild with the piston and rings. Before you put oil in it cycle the piston 20-30 times to get the rings started seating. Make sure you get new valve seals, and your valve seats cut (3 angle cut). WHen you fire it up be ready to ride it, and ride it hard, to seat in the rings. run it through the rev range and let off the throttle to allow engine breaking, this help seat the rings too..... I would also get a new cam chain since your in there.....

by dry he doesnt mean completly dry, there is always arguements as to which is better. I mean it just doesnt seem right to let the piston go up and down metal on metal, micro welding can happen.. if you are doing it dry make sure you rub oil on the skirt of the piston.. Wet would be applying a very thin coat to the skirt, rings, and cylinder wall. I used the oil method when I rebuilt mine and no problems. Also there are many opinions on how to break it in. I let it run for about 5 mins, let it cool down completely, second time I gave it some gas then let it cool down again, third time I rode it around just putting blipping it everyonce in a while for about a 15 min ride. after that you should change your oil. Then you should be good to go! hope this gave you some ideas on what to do. Have fun and good luck