Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Help Please

I have a 2008 XCF 450 and I am having a mysterious clutch problem that I cannot figure out but I am not as good a wrech as most but I usually get it figured out. The bike starts fine in neutral. When it is cold and I go to put it in first gear it just dies. I put it up on the stand today and fired it up and put it in 1st gear but the rear tire does not stop moving when I pull in the clutch. It is weird because after trying for about 10 starts the clutch seems to work perfectly when I put it in first gear. What am I missing. Does it need to be bled? Is it something with the plates? Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

normal. The oil is cold and getting some drag in the plates from the oil. If it kills the motor or the clutch wont disengage once the bike and gearbox is warmed up then there is a problem.

I hope you are right but this doesnt feel normal to me. I have never had this issue with any bike before. Would it help if I took the plates out and soaked them in oil or possibly changed them out?

Dont do anything, like Mike said, what you're experiencing is totally normal. Get her good and warm and you'll see you dont have the problem anymore.

I wont touch it but I do have one more question. I rode around the neighborhood doing wheelies for about 10 minutes and it was still doing it intermettently going from neutral into first. I wanted to go longer to warm it up more but the neighbors were getting pissed. Still Normal???

Thanks

You could try bleeding the clutch, could be some air in there. After a 10 minute wheelie session, it should be warm enough so that you could shift from neutral to 1st without moving and not have it stall out.

normal. The oil is cold and getting some drag in the plates from the oil. If it kills the motor or the clutch wont disengage once the bike and gearbox is warmed up then there is a problem.

Right ! You can bleed the clutch and adjust the free play to be on the sure side of things but my answer is the same as Mike´s.

That's normal behavior for the standard drag-o-matic clutch on the RF4. I wonder if anything was changed since then?

When warm, mine (08 450 SX-F) doesn't stall after putting it in gear, however there is still noticeable drag. Even with the warm engine shut off, if I pull the clutch in and push the bike, there's resistance. It did this ever since it came off the showroom floor.

the finding nuetral is common if you are stopped and not moving. If you click it into neutral the last few feet before stopping it will go right in.

Mine is kind of doing the same thing except I'm having issues with starts. I can pull the clutch in and still have some pull to the bike and I can idle it up on the gate and it'll just gradually take off by itself. I've got new plates and have bled it and still having issues. Also seems like I have to pump it up some to get feel to my lever sometimes.

It just donned on me do you guys think that I need to do a rebuild on the plunger. Maybe its not pushing the fluid hard enough to keep it engaged?

Again - i´m with Mike. Check the MC piston. If it allows any blow-by you´re F:banghead:ked. The good news is the rep. kit is cheap and easy to change.

Mine is kind of doing the same thing except I'm having issues with starts. I can pull the clutch in and still have some pull to the bike and I can idle it up on the gate and it'll just gradually take off by itself. I've got new plates and have bled it and still having issues. Also seems like I have to pump it up some to get feel to my lever sometimes.

Telltale signs of either air in the system or a bad piston seal.

I know its not air in the system I've back bled it a couple times I've got to be getting blow by.

O.K. Use caution while you change the piston so you get the lipped, rubber piston ring in there the right way or it will soon have the same problem again.

I have a stupid question. Do I need to drain the oil before I check my clutch plates or can I do it without checking the oil?

Thanks