Sign in to follow this  

Bed extender

I've seen some that are on the market, but I didn't really like them. The ones that I have seen are one bulky piece with too much radius on the corners, they won't allow loading of bikes when installed, and they do not block wind.

I decided to build my own.

I wanted mine to be compact for storage when I'm not using it....

IMG_0570.jpg

I didn't want it to be in the way of me loading bikes, and it isn't.....

IMG_0571.jpg

Here it is fully latched in.....

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

It latches in using the same latches that my tailgate has, and since it is hinged, I can swing it open to either side....

IMG_0574.jpg

Also, since it is a good wind blocker, it will make cooking with the Coleman stove a bit easier when it is windy since I do the cooking on the tailgate!

torch

That looks like you pulled it straight out of a box and hooked it up.

Nice job on that, looks great.

Thank you!

I need more practice at welding aluminum, but I can't complain about how it turned out. All I have in it is my time and less than $20 for the latches and welding rod. The rest of the material was free.

torch

I have a ready ramp that acts asa bed extender and a ramp It is one of the best things i ever bought it comes in very very handy i use it all the time

I have a ready ramp that acts asa bed extender and a ramp It is one of the best things i ever bought it comes in very very handy i use it all the time

It's not what I built mine for, but it sounds interesting. Any pics?

torch

I think this is what he's talking about

http://www.readyramp.com/about.readyramp

I have one and its awesome.

However yours looks really solid and well made, good job

That looks pretty nice, but there are a few things that don't work for me...

Those hinges are more than I want to make, and there is nothing to block the wind when I cook.

I like the versatility, but it doesn't match the versatility that I built mine for.

It all depends on what you need/want.

torch

I remembered that I had a few aircraft cargo nets laying around, so I added loops to attach one. It turns out that I needed that extra space and security for the load when I went to Utah last Friday....

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

torch