Sign in to follow this  

Drum brake help.

Three weeks ago, I thought I had had a bearing going bad cause something was put'n some drag on the rear left wheel till someone mentioned their being drum brakes built in the rear disk brakes (never knew it had drums!) that were used as the e-brakes.

Anyhoo, I made the adjustment that I thought would position the shoes more inward, so they wont grab on the drum. But now two weeks later I discover that its grabbing the drum more than it was before!! The whole rim was really HOT to the touch just after driving for a while, and was making little popping noises like an engine thats just been turned off.

What is their that I should really look at? I've already messed with it a couple times and I'm about to say f it, I'll just take the shoes out and have an e-brake on the right side only. Should I worry about the lug studs after getting so hot?

My truck is am 04 Dodge Dakota

It could be a few things holding your brake up. Your e-brake cable is rusted up not letting it release all the way. Your disc brake caliper piston could be stuck, your caliper bracket slides could be locked up. Or your brake hose going to the caliper could be bad...

The drum brake are not hydrolic, its lever/cable actuated. Kind of a wierd setup, I wonder why they didn't use the rear disks alone as the e-brake...

I got it fixed, did more adjusting but now I have don't have working e-brakes anymore lol. Fine by me, I dont do any frequent towing or anything that requires them but atleast the shoes arent grabbing the drum anymore.

This is something you should disassemble and inspect, it could be that you have an adjuster going haywire inside, a piece of hold down hardware that had broken loose, or it could be just as simple as a sticking e-brake cable. Even more after you backed it off once, and it's doing it again.

Either way, I'd tear it apart and have a look see inside there for myself....never have been a fan of this setup, seems the E-brake assy is a perfect trap for moisture, road grime, and de-icing chemicals.

This are referred to as "Drum in Hat", since the rotor kinda resembles a flat crowned hat, and the park brake is inside the hatband area.

Im glad I dont live in north carolina! get you truck worked on by people who get paid to. You are dangerous hillbilly

Im glad I dont live in north carolina! get you truck worked on by people who get paid to. You are dangerous hillbilly

It did it again a couple weeks ago and I finally figured out it was actually the disk brake. The caliper was sticking and it was enough to heat up the rotor and all that heat transfered through the whole rim. The drum brake is re-adjusted to where it should be and works good now. Trial and error for me since I have no experience troubleshooting brake problems :thumbsup:

Good you sorted it out. I had a caliper stick on my Dakota. I had to work on it on the side of the road and back off the piston without proper tools. Hope it's sorted, it's not fun to have to work on super hot brake components with traffic rocking the truck. I rebuilt both sides after than incident ~

JM