Downgrade to a 250f?

I have a 08 CRF450 and I love the bike, it fits me great and I have enjoyed it alot. Since I have gotten the bike I have gone from 235lbs down to 165. One of the reasons I got the bike in the first place was due to my weight, and I owned a 450 before. Now that I am 165-170 I am thinking maybe I would have more fun on a 250f and be able to throw it around more. I race and I think I may be faster on a smaller bike, but im just not sure. When I rode my freinds 05 250f it felt like it was reallllllyyyyy slow, but it obviously wasnt when I rode with him. What are the advantages and disadvantages?

What year 250 would I be able to evenly trade for? If I were to do that?

Thanks

Jack

Idk if I am alone here or not with my thinking but I believe a 250f is more enjoyable to ride than a 450. Just seems more of a challenge to go as fast and hit the same stuff on a smaller bike as people do on a big bike. But thats just my opinion. And also 250f's have come a long ways in the last few years so the comparision might not be that good if your looking at slightly newer ones compared to that 05.

Downgrade? No Different? Yes

A 250 is lighter and more nimble. If your rides consist of mountain goat single track where top speeds are rarely more than 40mph, a 250 is perfect. If you just ride the open desert ripping at 90, then you need the 450.

Way too much talk is given to displacement for displacements sake. Having more than you need is a waste unless it is for the same reason people buy Hummers.

For some, like a Paris to Dakar rider, a 450 is too small.

Look at your type of riding, not your ego.

How much less is in weight is a 250, not much. I think about 15lbs. It is in your mind young skywalker. Plus, in Colorado everything is lighter. I learned to ride track at what they now call Thunder Valley. I miss all the sun. You should try to lighten you bike a little, get some tubeless tubes, drill out some stuff and run it really low on gas and you are right there. Good luck and lets us know what you did.

If you are 165 a 250f would suit you well. Plus, the handling is much better which I enjoy. If the power is what you need, you can put a mod motor on it and can pull with the 450's. I was much slower on my 450 than I am on my 250f with a motor.

unless you can beat any rider thats on a 250, I would say your a little:bonk:

He doesn't have to beat any rider on a 250, he only has to beat himself on a 250. And that's assuming that fast equals happy, which is not always the case.

When one person is deciding between two bikes, it's the bike, not the rider.

Dont forget Ryan villipoto was the fastest racer in the world a few years ago at MXON. He was also the only one on a 250.

chances are if you ride track u might be faster, I know I can whip a 250 around a track way better than a 450.

Riding a 250 to its limits can be very, very expensive......

With proper maintenance, no. I have a full mod 250f motor rated at 43hp. I change my air filter every ride, and change synthetic oil every ride (3 hours max). I currently have 50 hours on the motor and the valves have only moved .001, better than some get out of stock engines.