Sign in to follow this  

ttr50 or pw80?

I've been looking for a ttr50 for my son. It fits him just right ,he's 7. I've been having trouble finding used ones but I keep seeing a lot of pw80's in my area.Are the ttr50 and pw80 comparable?

I'm familiar with the ttr50 but not the pw.

My boy is 7 and he has had a TTR50 for 2 years and can ride it pretty well. I bleed blue, but he bent the forks and I am having a hard time finding replacements without spending $300-400. There are a ton more parts available for CRF50s to choose from.

He loves the bike, but I am disappointed that there isn't more aftermarket stuff available for them. He also asked the other day if we could buy his friend's 80, and I think it is a PW. By no means has he grown out of the TTR yet - he is just acting like the rest of us - two bikes are better than one!

As far as size goes I think the pw80 is more comparable to a ttr90. A friend of mine had his daughter on a pw80 until he saw my daughter on a ttr90 with electric start and how much less I had to get off my bike to help start :banana:

PW80 is going to be slightly taller, which for a little kid makes a big difference. It's going to have a much greater potential for power and is going to cost less.

The PW80 will hold it's value better, IMHO too.

I suggest having him sit on one to be sure it fits, that's the most important part. If he fits a PW80, or reasonably close (you can make them a little shorter if needed.) then plug up the exhaust with a 3/8" fender washer, add gas, change the oil, check the oil injector oil and ride away happy.

If he doesn't fit, look into the XR/CRF50s, these are better supported machines because of the pit-bike people.

honestly, if he is 7, i would look at a 110 auto clutch. he will out grow the 80 pretty quickly.

If he fits the PW80 fits and you are NOT racing MX go for it! The bigger wheels and added ground clearance will help alot. We have a TTR50 and if

I bought another 50cc 4 stroke it would be a CRF50. The TTR shifter and rearbrake are so low they hit every rock & stump. The 110's are alot heavier and wider down by the pegs too.