Intiminators; stock springs or Eibachs?

I am going to finally install the Intiminators in the next week or so and would like to know if I should use the stock fork springs or go with the Eibachs that I have been running? .46 or .47's

They were designed to be used with the stock springs. Should I install with stock springs?

in an effort to reduce manufacturing costs suzuki nicked a bunch of office pens and decided to use the springs from them in the DR650. How they can be of use to anybody of any weight with any amount of 'tweaking' is beyond me. The only way I can see them working properly is if you give them so much preload they lose 80% of their fork travel. Stick with the eibachs

in an effort to reduce manufacturing costs suzuki nicked a bunch of office pens and decided to use the springs from them in the DR650. How they can be of use to anybody of any weight with any amount of 'tweaking' is beyond me. The only way I can see them working properly is if you give them so much preload they lose 80% of their fork travel. Stick with the eibachs

LOL! Now that was classic. :banana:? and not too far off from the truth either. Dampening, regardless of what you read, has nothing to do with having the correct spring rate for your bike/rider weight combo. Both need to be right for your suspension to work at it's best.

I'm also gonna drop some Eibtechs and Intiminators in this weekend.....two questions....

1.) Can someone help me with a link to the install process or fork disassmebly process....I know I've seen it on here before.....

2.) Also, what kind of preload am looking for with the Eibtechs and Intimin's.....

For tearing down the forks, the wiki has the info from the manual, scroll down near the bottom:

http://dr650.zenseeker.net/Suspension.htm

I'm also gonna drop some Eibtechs and Intiminators in this weekend.....two questions....

1.) Can someone help me with a link to the install process or fork disassmebly process....I know I've seen it on here before.....

2.) Also, what kind of preload am looking for with the Eibtechs and Intimin's.....

Loosen the top cap of the fork.

Pull the fork legs out (remove wheel/brake caliper).

Remove the top cap, drain the oil.

Put some 5w oil in and use the spring to push the Intiminator down onto the damper rod.

Pull spring out slowley.

Oil to 6 inches from the top.

Cut preload spacer to suit.

Spring in.

Washer in.

Spacer in.

Washer in.

Cap on.

Forks back in.

Caliper back on.

Wheel back in.

I've got 45mm static sag, 65mm race sag and 5mm preload.

Go for a ride.

Comment on how weird it feels.

Although I haven't experienced "weird" yet, I'm looking forward to it.

Gino, thanks for posting that link. Doesn't get more clear cut than that!

I only could find 8wt fork oil locally. Is this going to be too heavy for the intiminators?

Should I mail order 5wt?

only could find 8wt fork oil locally. Is this going to be too heavy for the intiminators?

Should I mail order 5wt?

I would only consider 8wt with at least .48-.5 springs.

5wt and .48 springs with 5mm preload was the best setting for me.

How does more/less preload affect the ride......??? More preload is stiffer???

Also, what is the total travel of the rear, so i can figure out 30% :banana: (I'm slow)

260mm travel front and rear.

I ended up with 80mm (30%) race sag.

Think of preload only as changing the ride height of the end you are adjusting.

If you are trying to make it stiffer/softer then you need to change springs.