Sign in to follow this  

Enduro Ideas!

So I'm on my way to making my bike a full enduro bike. Here is what I'm getting it so far.

CR85 Fork Conversion

Twin air filter

Power-up jet kit

Baja Designs light kit

FMF powercore 4

ASV pro clutch and brake levers

Maxxis Maxxcross Radial SI Rear

Trail Tech Endurance Computer

Race Tech Gold Valves for rear shock

and I already have Acerbis Uniko Hand Guards.

Tell me what yall think and give me any advice on other things I might need!

Thanks!

I think it's great. I am doing the same thing. I want to race a small bore bike, other than a 450 in open class, and my wifes 230 has been sitting there. I can't afford a 125 or 200. So I am working on making it a cross country bike aswell. You have done more than me though. I am on a budget and will probably only race tight trail races which are slim, so I am only doing certain things. Sound like you have alot of it covered.

How about better pegs!

Have fun!

You think your on budget!? Haha were talking about a 15 yr old with no job and any other source of income besides summer jobs and birthdays...etc, and thats just my list. I'm hoping to get the FMF for my b-day. But better pegs for better boot grip...nice idea, I'll have to look into it.

I wish I was 15 again and had it that easy. All you have to worry about is bikes. I'm jealous. I've been making my own parts due to money. It saves a lot making stuff. Kind of fun too.

True...True...I wish I could make my own parts, that'd be pretty fun. My family actually isn't much motorcycle oriented. It's just me and my brother (although he isn't as into it as I am), and my dad and uncle restore old cars.

You don't need all of the equipment to start, just go ride an enduro. You will learn about enduros and better understand what equipment is important for your riding area, that will help the budget.

Dang Chuck, you must like my posts, you've commented on most of them. The equipment's not JUST for the enduro racing, it's really for the better meant of the bike. I think it would make the most out of it. The Race Tech valves, and ASV levers can wait. All of these are just fun upgrade parts I'll do over a period of time.

So I'm on my way to making my bike a full enduro bike. Here is what I'm getting it so far.

CR85 Fork Conversion

Twin air filter

Power-up jet kit

Baja Designs light kit

FMF powercore 4

ASV pro clutch and brake levers

Maxxis Maxxcross Radial SI Rear

Trail Tech Endurance Computer

Race Tech Gold Valves for rear shock

and I already have Acerbis Uniko Hand Guards.

Tell me what yall think and give me any advice on other things I might need!

Thanks!

Here's my first 5 recommendations in order of importance in regards to going fast on the 230.

1. Works or Fox Shock - bad rear suspension will hurt you at the worst time. what shock do you have?

2. Replace stock front with anything else. I like the M12, it sticks and wears well. there's lots of other good choices out there.

3. Spacers in the forks for preload. 3/4" for 180 pounder. Throw in emulators if you have money left then use just 1/4" spacer.

85 conversion if you have the bucks or some XR250 forks. - choices

4. taller handle bars if you need them. It's surprizing how much better you ride when the bike fits you.

5. The computer would be nice.

Free stuff - lighten the bike like exploringWA did. Alot of that was free. You can sharpen your stock footpegs, drill holes in the bottom of your seat to make it softer and lighter, if it's muddy you want a tugger strap behined the seat, also a fender extension as the rr fender is way short on the 230 (a piece of rubber and 3 rivets and I had one).

You're going to have a lot of fun!

Good luck to you!

Dang Chuck, you must like my posts, you've commented on most of them. The equipment's not JUST for the enduro racing, it's really for the better meant of the bike. I think it would make the most out of it. The Race Tech valves, and ASV levers can wait. All of these are just fun upgrade parts I'll do over a period of time.

I just thought it would be better to be riding and learning rather than wrenching or spending money on the bike. There is a learning curve for riding Enduros and saddle time is the teacher. Have said that there is a lot of equipment that I think is important for trail riding that provide ease of use and/or protection for you and the bike. Barkbuster style guards and skid plates are two such items. Also you should check to see what type of computers are used for Enduros in your area before buying.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

I just thought it would be better to be riding and learning rather than wrenching or spending money on the bike.

I completely agree with you. I could do a zillion upgrades and still not know how to ride. But luckily for me, I have 6 years of riding experiance and I still have more to learn, I just thought they might be fun upgrades. Becuase I am riding this bike till the wheels fall off so I might as well customize it the way I like, and if I don't like them I can just take them off.

Another thing, if I put the CR85 forks on and don't like them, can I put my stock ones back on no problem?

1. Works or Fox Shock - bad rear suspension will hurt you at the worst time. what shock do you have?

It's just the stock one, I was thinking about getting race tech valves for it. But just in case I come across enough money for a rear shock to, which is better, Fox or Works? Thanks

It's just the stock one, I was thinking about getting race tech valves for it. But just in case I come across enough money for a rear shock to, which is better, Fox or Works? Thanks

They have RaceTech valves for the stock rear? Never heard of it. I'm interested! I just put emulators in the forks and MAN what a difference!

Well wouldn't that be nice. It's not available for the 230. Why not? An installation video. Coooool. Those help alot. If it's going to be available for the 230 anytime soon, then I will get one. Especially if it's price is like the emulators.

From the link: "Shock Comments

Complete RT Shock available. Stk shock is non-rebuildable."

Even if they do crack it open, install a valve for refill it's not worth putting money into.

The Works shock is pricy but works so well I have not regretted all the $$$ spent. The Fox has good reviews as well and is a little higher tech. Have not ridden a bike with the fox yet. It'll be hard to be "better" than the works. Fox is lighter. Do search for "Fox" in this forum.

I'd say the rear suspension upgrade is the number one most important thing for adding speed and adding safety if you're goint to "race" the 230.

The Fox doesn't have a remote reserviors so it'd be hard to put on 06-up 150's because of the battery box

Fox makes a shock specifically for the 150/230 and it does have a remote reservoir. The battery box is easy to get rid of anyway.