Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust Header Gaskets? what to do

Hello Everyone.

Finally bought my first bike. After having no motorbike experience at all I have went out and bought a 2002 XR250R and went and got my Motorbike licence.

Been trail riding now for about 3 months - best fun I have ever had, I should have been doing this years ago!

I live on the South East Coast of Australia, about 2 hours drive south of Sydney so plenty of trails around.

I finally had a look at my XR250 Exhaust Header Weld, as part of the 'Gordon Mods'. The weld didn't look that bad on mine so I have decided to leave them as is. Screwed the header all back on and all good.

After speaking with a few people, and reading a few posts. Some people are recommending replacing the Exhaust Header Gaskets whenever the headers have been removed. And considering it's only a 3 dollar item, I thought better to be safe then sorry.... Went to the local bike shop and got the Gaskets, went home to remove the Exhaust Header a second time.

Any idea on how I can get the exhaust gaskets out? They are a small brass ring about the size of a 50c coin and are very much stuck into place. After playing around for 15 minutes I just put the exhaust header back on with the original gaskets in place.

Not sure what to do...

Should I just leave the bike as is, or try again to fit the new gaskets?

Thanks guys.

I left the original ones in even though I took the header off once. I had someone tell me not to bother replacing them if they are not leaking. Fast forward several years and I did the same thing with my Trail 90 when I had to remove or rather re-install the exhuast to fix what the PO had messed up. Both work fine, no leaks. I would leave them alone unless the header has been on and off many times.

I left the original ones in even though I took the header off once. I had someone tell me not to bother replacing them if they are not leaking. Fast forward several years and I did the same thing with my Trail 90 when I had to remove or rather re-install the exhuast to fix what the PO had messed up. Both work fine, no leaks. I would leave them alone unless the header has been on and off many times.

I concur. :banana:

:lol: Oh man, I've been reading WAY too much Shakespeare in class. But anyhow, I agree with 67GT. You really only should need to replace your exhaust gaskets if they're either damaged, leaking, or the header has been taken off the bike many times. I've taken my header off 3-4 times, gaskets are perfectly fine, no leaks.

I've removed headers many times between gasket changes without leaks. If you change headers then a new gasket may be warranted.

You can remove the old gaskets by prying them out with a screwdriver, or pull them with a hook tool.

My suggestion is to put the new gaskets in your tool box until you need them. Oh they are made from copper formed into a torus, not brass.

OK sounds good. I'll just hang onto them until there needed.

Such a wealth of information this place...

Thanks everyone