Sign in to follow this  

really muddy race coming up i need help

Hey guys

i have a really really muddy hare scramble race coming up i was wondering if you guys could give me any helpful hints or tricks

I have ears for my bark busters, roll offs, extra googles, and ill spray my bike down with wd40. Leave my suspension a tad bit tighter. just to let you know i have a 2010 crf250r

any helpful things like this would defintley help a lot thanks

A good mud tire, ride loose and fast. When you slow down the mud sticks to your tires and you lose all control. Keep fast enough to sling it off. When heading into a corner find the rut, stick your tires in it and hit the throttle.

Sounds easy, it's not. I fight not going fast enough. When your in 1st gear, your done. Tires ball up and slide everywhere.

Only thing to do is spin the back tire hard to clean it and then get some speed to clean the front.

Good luck

A thin piece of sticky-back foam on the top of your helmet will help to keep to mud from piling up on top. Also, an old clear goggle lens attached straight out to the front of the visor can be used to keep more mud off your face.

Something like this --

GY5L7009.jpg

Keep them wheels spinning.

thanks guys yeah i forgot to say i already have a lens on my helmet, when you put the foam in your engine guards wont it not let the bike cool right though?

any more helpful things would be greatfully appreciated

best advice is to sit it out unless you want to rebuild your mud filled motor, carb, blown fork seals, ruined linkage and new brake pads. Ask yourself can you afford this because if so please clink link below for a wake up call:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=883191

I'm going to be in the same race as Hondarider and there is no need to sit it out. The guy in the link rode through a raging torrent, apparently, and drowned his bike. There won't be anything like that at this race.

After the basics, I'd say the best plan is to ride safe and steady. Let the AA guys go all out. It will be fun to watch them after we destroy the course, anyway. I only want to stay upright and finish.

Good suggestions above but let me add one thing...Do you care how you finish? Do humans count your laps? Make sure you have your number and class in BIG characters on your back. Thats the only hope you have late in the event for them to count you as you pass by. I used to have a special "mud event" jersey.

best advice is to sit it out unless you want to rebuild your mud filled motor, carb, blown fork seals, ruined linkage and new brake pads. Ask yourself can you afford this because if so please clink link below for a wake up call:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=883191

Before I even finished your post I could tell you was from the west coast, if we skipped all the mud races here in the east the riding season would be cut at least in half.

Depends on the kind of mud

If its slick slippery mud i always run in a gear higher than i would normally be in because if your winding it out you wont have any traction but if its thick goupy mud just keep it in the normal gear you would ride so the mud doesnt accumulate on the tires...just keep the rubber side down and you should be fine

Ducman, I was thinking the same thing. Everyone should ride in some mud like last years Moose Run or Millerstown.

On the bright side I think I finally got all the mud out of my transmission this weekend. :banana:

hahaha Millerstown as in the OMA in kentucky?

That race kicked my butt so hard two years ago that I chose to not even go last year. It was a definite learning experience.

Before I even finished your post I could tell you was from the west coast, if we skipped all the mud races here in the east the riding season would be cut at least in half.

+1

I don't race, but my area, trails are almost always swamped. Just about every single day I ride my bike, I'll at least cross a few muddy creeks... Any many times we'll have muddy trails for weeks, just gotta ride it, and clean your bike good and grease everything afterwords! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well, the race the op was talking about was nasty. Guys stuck everywhere, puddles the size of ponds and unreal ruts. Mike Lafferty actually came out and raced AA and was leading until he got stuck and had bike troubles. I think he got an 8th.

Here's a video(of course it never looks as bad as it really is on video):

http://www.northeastoffroad.org/downloads/Rd%201%20Main%20Event%2010.wmv

Yes, the OMA in Millerstown was the one. Just wonder if the OP was able to use any of the advice given in the post.

It looks bad enough in the video. Thats a mess

Ran one this weekend that was not that bad but still bad enough that I quit at the gas when I realized they were sending us back around the same course again. No thanks, man.

hahaha Millerstown as in the OMA in kentucky?

That race kicked my butt so hard two years ago that I chose to not even go last year. It was a definite learning experience.

I was at the same race, I only made 2 laps though. When I quit I was bleeding from the nose from breathing so hard I guess since I didn't take a shot to the face. The creek section has to be one of the best sections I have raced on, did you find the cliff right before the creek section? I followed some pros on my last lap and found myself on top of what could only be described as a 40' tall cliff, I looked down and saw black marks down it so off I went:eek: