Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Grand Junction Newbie...help, need my riding 'fix'

Just moved to GJ last weekend and living North of town. Would like to get out to ride this weekend, but don't know anyone here. Anyone interested in having a newbie tag along. 40 something, 10+ yrs riding experience, a couple of "C" enduros....not fast, but can navigate most terrain. Riding a 300EXC; no plate, just got my Colorado OHV reg. Anxious to sample what I have heard is awesome regional riding!

Need my 'fix' before I start work next week.

Thanks, Pete

srndptee@gmail.com

Drive west on I70 and just before the Utah border is Rabbit Valley. Exit #2 I think. I moved to Arizona from just south of you last fall. You have no idea how much riding is around you. Go to the US Forest Service office on Horizon Drive by the airport and get some maps. After you are done there continue to the end of Horizon Drive and just before you enter the airport take a left. Go just beyond the airport and take a right and you are there. Everything out there is mostly open. Get to know your way around out there before you start blasting around. Some of the washes between hills can be steep and deep. Also go and find Motorcycle Accessories on the 50 bypass and they should have some good maps. REI there in town has a good sellection of Trails Illustrated maps also. Man that whole region is awsome, luckey bastard.

Start exploring. There are several great trails that are north of the airport. Right now, the closer you get to the bookcliffs the muddier it gets.

Park on 27 1/4 rd near one of the blue trash bins and head out from there. If you take the road north you will run into the MX track. We will be doing a bit of maintenance on it for the race. There are trails all over the place out there. If you get lost, Keep the bookcliffs at your back and you will hit town.

Regards,

Thomas

thanks to both of you. Can I access some of the Bookcliff area trails from the end of 21/22 Rd? I'm living out on 23 Rd.

Oh yeah, there is lots of access areas. Just north of the refinery there is a singletrack that heads west. You will have to look closely, but it is there. About 100-200 yards north of the refinery in a wide spot in the road. Lots of singetrack to be had. Be careful to stay out of the mountainbike area to the northwest from there.

Regards,

Thomas

I have been riding that area for nearly 25 years now. The group I ride with will be over there on the 26th-27th to ride. Let me know if you want to join. We can show you some of our favorite trails along the book cliffs.

CoKTM

Drive west on I70 and just before the Utah border is Rabbit Valley. Exit #2 I think. I moved to Arizona from just south of you last fall. You have no idea how much riding is around you. Go to the US Forest Service office on Horizon Drive by the airport and get some maps. After you are done there continue to the end of Horizon Drive and just before you enter the airport take a left. Go just beyond the airport and take a right and you are there. Everything out there is mostly open. Get to know your way around out there before you start blasting around. Some of the washes between hills can be steep and deep. Also go and find Motorcycle Accessories on the 50 bypass and they should have some good maps. REI there in town has a good sellection of Trails Illustrated maps also. Man that whole region is awsome, luckey bastard.

Good info here but PLEASE do not shop at REI. They are actively trying to shut down motorized recreation.

As a group we need to be aware of the politics of the places we shop. REI is VERY anti-motorized.

Drop me a PM and we can hook up. Sledding season is winding down so I should be up for some spring biking soon.

Can ya camp up in that area? Any particularly good areas for a newb to access the roads or easy trails? Thanks!

Yes you can camp but don't expect much. It is desert with no trees. For the best access, take Horizon drive north off of 70 towards the airport. When you get to the airport, do not enter it but continue around the traffic circle and head West. Continue aprox 1/2 mile to 27 1/4 road and head north on it (it will take you to the north side of the airport). After you cross the cattle guard (about a mile) you can park anywhere and ride. If you drive about 2 miles on 27 1/4 there is a moto cross track where many park. There are hundreds of miles of trails out there. There are many easy trails that are good for beginers to develope skills. The trails typically get more difficult as you get closer to the book cliffs. If you search CoKTM on YouTube I have a couple videos posted of the GJ area.

CoKTM

Start exploring. There are several great trails that are north of the airport. Right now, the closer you get to the bookcliffs the muddier it gets.

Park on 27 1/4 rd near one of the blue trash bins and head out from there. If you take the road north you will run into the MX track. We will be doing a bit of maintenance on it for the race. There are trails all over the place out there. If you get lost, Keep the bookcliffs at your back and you will hit town.

Regards,

Thomas

thats where i ride when i go to GJ...

is the MX track your referencing, the one behind GJMS? Iv raced SM there a bunch but never ridden those hills...im gonna try and get a group out before winter...

most of the motorcycle shops have free maps. i think the bookcliff rattlers put em out

if you had a plated bike we're headed to Ouray friday am to ride some jeep trails / will be @ the Ouray KOA