Sign in to follow this  

What should I do before I start an engine that has been sitting for 120days ....

Look for some solid ideas on the best way to start my NOT WINTERIZED '06 S.

I've read:

• put a shot of oil in the spark plug hole, leave the plug out an turn it over a few times.
  • drain the tank ( not sure how to do that )

I've got a new battery and I will install that this weekend. I want to do the right thing when I start it up.....

Drink. a LOT

srsly though, you did right by putting a little oil in there...

remove the fuel line from the carb side and drain the tank that way, the put fresh gas in

Im with restosud, all I did to my bike after the winter is drain old premixed gas, and kicked it... she started right up.... no point in doing extra work if you dont have to.

thanks for the responses.

crzyatv and restoud, i think i will look up how to drain the carb ( any tips on where some instructions are located are welcomed ) put the batt in a fire her up.

If it was in a garage... I'd just start it... let it idle for a few minutes to get oil presure... and ride down to the local gas station, and top off the tank with fresh fuel.

4 months isn't lat long of a time, and if your fuel valve is working... the carb won't be gummed up.

Needless to say, after that short ride, yo will want to check the oil, and coolant just to make sure everything is good.

If it was out in a shed, in freezing temps, I would check it over better before starting it.

I would dump the fuel and start with fresh fuel. If there's crap, water, bad fuel in the tank it's going to end up in the carb and could eventually cause a blockage or poor running condition. If that happens you'll have to pull the carb to fix it.

Way to anal. Start it up. If it won't start...come on back...that will be the time to get systematic.

A few ml's of Stab-il prior to putting her away would have removed any doubt about the gas.

Turn the key, fire her up and go.

Short ride, then check/change fluids. Oil and clean the chain. Check the tire pressure before you do much of anything, but only 4 months, should still be in the safe range. If it's acting up or running odd, post it up, thousands of little things to check or change, but most are things you would do for normal servicing anyways.

:ride:I would drain the carb bowl and see what it looks like,on left side of carb at bottom is a screw to drain,gas will come out of a hose underneeth,if it seems ok,:thumbsup:open gas valve to prime, choke and try starting,once running hold throttle off idle for a while to bulid oil pres,shut off,check fluids -ok-go ridding,:banana::banana::lol:

turn the petcock to "PRIME" for a few seconds to fill the carb bowl, which may have evaporated.