Sign in to follow this  

cleaning up an oxidized engine

Hi To All;

I'm looking at buying a friends bike (2001 DR650), the bike i know internally is in good shape, however he has stored it outside for a year under a raised tarp open to the Pacific Northwest elements and it shows!

Everything that could start to rust has started - but very minor; the thing you notice first is the faded, chalky (speckled white and gray) appearance of the engine casings, calipers and cylinder. I'm assuming they're made of magnesium so this would be some sort of oxidization???

My question: is this oxidization, are the engine casings and cylinder magnesium and is it possible to restore this kind of surface deterioration back to its original glory?

I would appreciate input and if anyone has successfully done this I'd LOVE to see before and after shots.

Thanks

Paul

I've not had an entire engine to try to make look good again, but I've had parts that I made look good that were oxidized.The cylinder, head, and calipers on my Honda were looking a bit shabby, and I managed to clean them up to better than new condition. What worked for me were brass brushes which can be found in various configurations and sizes. The ones I used most are shaped sort of like a tooth brush. They remove an amazing amount of oxidation without scratching the aluminum and magnesium. Follow that up with Scotchbrite pads which come in different degrees of abrasiveness and can be cut into whatever size you need. And I've also used Maas polishing cream which works very well. But the main ingredient to making metal look good is elbow grease. There is no easy way to achieve good results without it. If you have large somewhat flat areas to restore, you might try some buffing pads on a Dremel tool or some type of drill motor. But motorcycles don't have much in the way of flat or smooth areas to work on. I don't have any before and after pictures as I was not planning on creating some sort of tutorial, since I was just interested in making my bike look as good as it can. What I described worked for me, and it can work for you too, if you're will to put forth the time and effort. Good luck on your project.:banana:

Every spring I have to polish up my '73 CB750. I ride it daily here in the PNWet, so it doesn't sit long, but rust and oxidation occurs. I use steel wool and/or brass brushes on everything metal. It's lookin pretty rough right now...

P3110001.jpg

I'll take a pic when I'm done...

btw, don't hold your breath, I can be lazeeeeeee :banana:

Thanks for the advice so far. Do engines and cylinder heads have any kind of coating/plating or are they solid magnesium that is just polished on the surface?

My only concern with wire brushing and scouring pads is that it may make the surfaces more likely to corode/oxidize again?

Thanks

Paul