Sign in to follow this  

Rip off engine work

Hi, I've been a member for awhile. Hopefully you guys can help me figure out my next step in a ridiculously annoying problem

Two years ago a rock cracked the case of my 03' dr650 causing traumatic oil loss (didnt make it home) but realized soon enough to shut the bike down before damage was done.

the crack was in an awkward spot, spiralling around one of the bolts, it was nasty. I was recommended to a local guy with cast aluminum welding experience.

To make a long story short he took a year to weld the part!!! it was my fault for leaving it with him after a couple months went by.

So I get the engine back and put it in the frame. (it still leaks alittle) and WOW amazing now I barely have 4th gear, sometimes its in 3rd then goes to fourth, sometime in 5th and it goes to 4th, sometimes in 4th and it goes to neutral. What he heck.

I know, shifting fork but could there be anything that I did in reinstallation that could cause this problem. The mechanic wont return my phone calls which is ok because I dont want to be near him anyways. ANY SUGGESTIONS ITS MY FAVORITE BIKE AND 4TH IS MY FAVORITE GEAR. IM SOL PLEASE HELP

Was the engine dropped on the shift rod? These problems are not the result of an improperly installed engine. Sounds like you will need to split the cases and see what is going on inside.

Sounds like a case of the missing shift drum detent spring to me. :banana:

Item #19 below. Either that or the cases are warped enough from welding to affect the operation of the shifting drum. :lol:

So you bought that skid plate right?

0018.Gif

why on earth would you bother to wait that long (and i'm guessing, pay that much) to fix a cracked engine case? DR's are everywhere and they are dirt cheap, best of all they have a good design and it's lasted since 1996 so an engine swap is cheap and easy, just buy a whole bike and salvage bits

thanks for the info and diagram I think its very possible that the mechanic left out that spring;

As for the other question about waiting , at the time there was a surplus of Suzuki Bandit 1250 07's at a local dealership for a leftover price tag and after about a month i just couldnt help myself. I think its perfectly reasonable for a man to forget about his other machines in this situation. However, one can only go so long without a dual sport.

(my opinions)

any more suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks