Sign in to follow this  

2003 XR50 starts hard , idles for a second , and dies HELP!

Hey guys, I'm new here but have definitely been snagging free info from the site for a long time now, much appreciated. I did research past posts to research my problem, but hope you guys can help me narrow it down.

Its a 2003 XR50, I just pulled the jets and soaked everything, put in a new plug, it has fresh gas, and new gear oil. It will start hard requiring many kicks with no choke, it loves half choke, in fact that's really the only way to start it. Full choke wont get it firing as fast as with half choke. When I get it to fire, I have to keep it reving really high, if I let it idle down, it dies out. This is also only when I have half choke, if I take it off it dies. Why is it only liking half choke?

Do you think its my valves? It can't be my carburetor, it is clean as a whistle.

Any input? Any one else experience this?

Thanks in advance!

I have the idle screw out 3 turns and the jet below it, I assume is fuel / air how many turns should that be?

so I got it to run, starts easy now and idles great. The problem was the fuel line was semi clogged.

I do have a problem though...

When I give it gas it seems delayed, and then it climbs up in RPM's, hangs there for a bi t and comes down. It drives fine down the road, no hiccups...

I have the idle screw at 2.75 and the air at 1.25...

What do you think?

four strokes will hang there for a second before idling back down.

if you get a chance change the filter in the gas tank. its a couple bucks, but that fine mesh screen will break down or get clogged over time.

the delay could be your needle position or air screw. try going up or down on your needle and see if it goes away. if it does, do a plug chop to make sure its not runnign to lean or rich. unfortunatly when you change one circuit, it affects another circuit.

i usually tune them from the fast to slow circuits. doing the main first, then down to the air screws and needle positions. you can do plug chops to get a reading to make sure your not running too rich or lean.

not everyones will be the same due to altitude.

ours its sit about 1 1/4 out at sea level in FL.