KDX 220 Wiseco, What Parts Needed??

Hey guys,

I'll be swapping the stock piston on my son's 2001 KDX 220, for a Wiseco soon. Most of the kits I've seen don't include the wrist pin bearing. The bike probably has fewer than 200 miles on it. Can I just re-use the bearing that's currently in the bike? We are just casual weekend trail riders, no competitive racing.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Winkel

I had to buy my bearing seperate.I agree that it should come with the piston kit,but it doesn't. I would change it as long as you are in there,just for one less thing to worry about. :banana:
the rod kit is the part the bearing comes with, i wish they would give ya one with the piston.

The Wiseco kit DOES come with the wristpin bearing... What are you guys on about?

Wiseco PK1599

http://www.wiseco.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ItemID=PK1599&ModelID=194&ModelYear=2000&AppID=28233

The Wiseco kit DOES come with the wristpin bearing... What are you guys on about?

Wiseco PK1599

http://www.wiseco.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ItemID=PK1599&ModelID=194&ModelYear=2000&AppID=28233

$231 :banana:

You can get the piston kit and bearing on RM for under $140 and get the entire top end gasket Kit (Moose) on ebay for $25. Plus you can surf and find a 10% off coupon for RM!

The bearing is listed in the description as well as many of the reviews. Why do you say it doesn't come with it? Not flaming, just curious.

Winkel

P.S. Yogi, thanks for the link. This is the kit I'm going to buy!

Hey, everyone. Hopefully, this will clear up some confusion.

There are two different Wiseco piston kits available for the USA KDX220R with stock bore diameter. For years, Wiseco offered what we might call a "normal" piston kit, that so many of us are used to seeing (piston, 2 rings, 2 circlips and piston pin). One had to buy the bearing separately. About two years ago roughly, they started offering a more complete kit that added the bearing, as well as a top end gasket kit.

The Wiseco part number for the "regular" piston kit is 750M06900.

http://www.wiseco.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ItemID=750M06900&ModelID=194&ModelYear=2001&AppID=2742

The Wiseco part number for the more recently available "kit with bearing and top end gaskets" is PK1599.

http://www.wiseco.com/ProductDetail.aspx?AppID=28233&ItemID=PK1599&ModelYear=2001&ModelID=194

Wiseco_Red_CMYK.gif

Be SUPER careful of eBay Wiseco pistons. I only wish I had a dollar for every oversized piston I saw on there that didn't specifically mention that it was oversized!

Ya you have to ask... I made sure it said 66 and I even asked the seller if it was correct. Think last time I saw some they started listing as .2+ instead of 68 or some nonsense. I'd say for the most part ebay sellers are pretty honest but you'll always get those 1-2 that try to be as deceptive as possible, you just have to be smart.

I'm a bit leery of the parts on e-bay because I don't always trust that the people that are selling them, know what they are. I ordered the kit from the link Yogi posted. (Thanks Yogi!) It should be here by the weekend. My son's bike is running great, just don't want to take the chance. He's not an aggressive rider, but is getting more comfortable with the bike every day so it's just a matter of time before he starts hammering on it.

I figure the stock piston will make a good paper weight for my desk at work.

I'll let you all know how the rebuild goes.

Fortunately, the PO of my KDX 220 threw in a factory service manual when I bought mine. I've been studying it for the past week so I don't screw up the KIPS. The last 2 stroke top end I did was about 27 years ago and it had no power valve. Should be a good weekend project for us.

Thanks for all the feedback,

Winkel