Sign in to follow this  

CAN AM Sonic

Anybody out there got one of these?

I'm always on the lookout for one but have never seen one available. I'm not sure if any with the "Sabre" name ever actually made it to dealerships. The bike was originally released as the Sabre, but I think Honda threatened to sue them since they had their own Sabre coming out at the same time...so the name was quickly changed to Sonic.

Would love to see some pic's of any that happen to be out there.:banana:

I saw one running post vintage motocross at an AHRMA event and there was one on ebay awhile back. Man I love can-am's.

I local Can Am dealership offered me a sponsorship on a brand new Sonic in '83. I had extremely high hopes for it at the time, because I was very fast on Open 4 strokes. Unfortunately the love affair lasted only one race. I finished both motos but the bike ran so hot it melted my trick plastic Vendramini boots. As well, the suspension was frighteningly poor, the spokes were so soft they had to be re-tightened after each moto, and quite frankly... it wasn't very fast. I went back to my Husky 500CR for the next race.

I did hear however that once the motor was sorted out, suspension redone and wheels replaced they could become decent bikes.