Sign in to follow this  

Does your header glow?

Just installed a full muzzy ss/aluminum pipe on my E model, looks and sounds killer, I think the fcr's set up is original (no jetting etc) and i removed the snorkel for the 3x3. it seems to run ok except for a bit of hesitation off idle. my question is: is it normal for the header to glow a bit right where it is attached to the engine? the color of the header also changed right away to that golden brown. im just worried that it might be running a bit lean now. cheers!

Just installed a full muzzy ss/aluminum pipe on my E model, looks and sounds killer, I think the fcr's set up is original (no jetting etc) and i removed the snorkel for the 3x3. it seems to run ok except for a bit of hesitation off idle. my question is: is it normal for the header to glow a bit right where it is attached to the engine? the color of the header also changed right away to that golden brown. im just worried that it might be running a bit lean now. cheers!

Glowing header is indicative of a lean condition, however, you have to post the jets within your FCR, needle with position of the clip, sea level, and bike.....:banana:

Also, list the model FCR that you have, there are several mods that will do away with the slight hesitation off the idle.

I recently made similar mods on my DRZ and you absolutely need to adjust the jetting on the carb! By cutting the 3x3 hole and opening up the flow of exhaust it's definately getting a lot more air and running lean! TT was great to get the JD jet kit from and Eddie was brilliant with the setting reccomendations, seriously a pretty simple process. You'll be surprised at how much more noticeable power you'll get out of the bike, not to mention a more throaty sound!

I was told by Eddie & others if your correctly jetted and your still glowing, it's because your not riding so no air flow to cool it. :banana:

I haven't touched the carb and i think its the older model fcr (2003 drz e) sounds like i gotta take it out and have a look at the jet sizes and setup... I only had the bike on for a short bit when i noticed the glowing. the vapor dash was reading a temp of 50 C (122 F) for the coolant which is not that hot, that's why i noticed it.