Sign in to follow this  

650L head

Here it is after 3500 miles. Notice where the cam has no bearings. I guess it got a little hot here.IMG_0763.jpg

Had a little leak on my exhaust ports. My FMF header was a little more difficult to seat up than the stocker and I played with it for quite awhile. I always replace the exhaust crush gaskets when I remove the header. I was a little concerned how close the silencer is to the airbox. No problems though after 3000 miles. Considering going back to the stock header due to the ease of fit and the shield. There is no power gain over stock with the FMF, but it does look good though. I have never had a Staintune exhaust and might have to try them out.

IMG_0766.jpg

Here it is after 3500 miles. Notice where the cam has no bearings. I guess it got a little hot here.[ATTACH]13014[/ATTACH]

I am told this isn't uncommon on the XRL's. If it is serious XR's Only can rebuild and recut the journal. Couple of ?'s......... Is it rough to the touch and what was the condition of the cam journal?

I am told this isn't uncommon on the XRL's. If it is serious XR's Only can rebuild and recut the journal. Couple of ?'s......... Is it rough to the touch and what was the condition of the cam journal?

I thought it was more common than uncommon??

It is common as in not unusual! Thought I said that. I just rebuilt a top end on a XRL and I just touched that up with a bit of fine emery cloth and put the engine back together. It runs fine. As long as there isn't cam damage, the wear can be repaired on both the head and the head cover.

It's smooth to the touch; no rough spots on either the cam or journal. I am going to send it off to XR's Only for some porting and I will see what they say about it. Just wondering if anyone has seen this. Don't remember seeing this on past L's.

It's smooth to the touch; no rough spots on either the cam or journal. I am going to send it off to XR's Only for some porting and I will see what they say about it. Just wondering if anyone has seen this. Don't remember seeing this on past L's.

XR's Only can polish it out for you. There are probably similar marks on the Head Cover as well. If you want XR's to clean it up, you will probably want to send the head cover along as well. Suggestion: If you are sending the head out, have them check the exhaust valve seats, they have a way of coming loose in these engines. Worth checking just in case.