Sign in to follow this  

California Anyone ridden Coulterville?

Thinking of maybe heading there this Friday as it appears that it might be below snow level. Any feedback would be welcome. I know it's off 132...

Thinking of maybe heading there this Friday as it appears that it might be below snow level. Any feedback would be welcome. I know it's off 132...

Last I heard, the snow was falling down to 2500ft, the staging area is at about 2500ft, so the lower elevations should be ok to ride by now since most of the good trails are below the staging area level.

Eric, can you tell me about what kind of trails are there and how the riding is?

hidden trails, ruff and rocky. The obvious stuff is the dirt roads. If you know the place very nice stuff is there.

^

Like Mike said, the good stuff is the hidden trails. There's a dirt road that's about 6 or 7 miles long and it starts right in front of the staging area, it will lead you to the creek. (The staging area is across the street from the trails, no riding allowed on the pavement other than just getting across). I'd say the best thing to do for a first timer without a guide is to ride the main road all the way to the creek, just to get an idea of what's around and the terrain. From there start looking carefully for any small trails that fork off from the main road, that's where things will get really interesting. The trails will be rutted, rough, and quite rocky. One of my favorite parts is the trail that leads to the abandoned mines. About 2 or 3 miles into the main road, there will be a "dip" at the bottom of a hill. It will look like a 4-way intersection, can't really go to the left because it's a closed area, the main road continues ahead slightly to the left, straight ahead will be a rock face that some people climb, and to the right will be a trail about 5' wide that leads to the mines. That same trail will have more narrow forks that have some pretty good action. Ride slowly on the main road looking for the smaller trail heads, if you blink you miss them. There's some awesome stuff there, just have to look carefully. Be ready for some rocky challenging terrain, you'll be either be going up or down trails at all times, there's not much "flat" stuff there.

If you can handle the black diamond trails at Carnegie you should be fine at Coulterville, there's a bit more vegetation and it's more rocky. Watch out for poison ivy! I learned that the hard way..

I didnt think Poison Ivy lived on this side of the Mississippi?

I didnt think Poison Ivy lived on this side of the Mississippi?

Poison Oak!!!

Poison Oak!!!

lol, I think I got the names confused.:banana: All I know is that I got a massive allergic reaction, it wasn't pretty for the whole month I had it.

We found it and managed to get in 17 miles before the storm hit. Very challenging and fun!!

IMG_0818-1-1.jpg

Welcome to Coulterville

IMG_0819-2.jpg

What I just came up from the river - 98% slickrock, a reason to do a few more push ups every morning

IMG_0823-1.jpg

Sometimes reality before pride

IMG_0826-1.jpg

Bottom of the world - river was impassable

Damn! I had a feeling it was you I saw in the morning around 8:10am by Waterford. I live in Waterford and was on my way to work in Modesto. I remember seeing a truck with about 3 ktm's in the back, and I thought "that looks like somebody that's going to coulterville...". I'm glad you had a good time, the place looks fantastic in the pictures. I'm thinking I'll probably have to head out there next saturday.

Yup - was probably us....A white Tundra with the 3 KTMs on a trailer.

Thanks for your all the info you gave us - we had fun.

Yup - was probably us....A white Tundra with the 3 KTMs on a trailer.

Thanks for your all the info you gave us - we had fun.

I'm glad to hear you had fun riding there, that's what it's all about.

I'm seriously thinking about heading there this saturday March 21st, Any takers?? I'm no "A" rider, but I can handle most of what Coulterville has to offer.

Well, I just found out that this area has been closed for good by the BLM. I was there in July and came across a locked gate about a half mile into the main road. I left that day thinking that it might have been a fire season closure, even though I had never seen it closed during the summer for the past three years I had been going there. So I called the Forest Service, they confirmed that it was "closed", but directed me to the BLM to find out if it was for good or what. So I called the BLM and confirmed it, it's closed for good. It really sucks, that place is pure gold if one knows where to look. Looks like the BLM is looking to close down all OHV riding within their managed areas.

Well, I just found out that this area has been closed for good by the BLM. I was there in July and came across a locked gate about a half mile into the main road. I left that day thinking that it might have been a fire season closure, even though I had never seen it closed during the summer for the past three years I had been going there. So I called the Forest Service, they confirmed that it was "closed", but directed me to the BLM to find out if it was for good or what. So I called the BLM and confirmed it, it's closed for good. It really sucks, that place is pure gold if one knows where to look. Looks like the BLM is looking to close down all OHV riding within their managed areas.

That sucks - I am beyond words.....Date Flat closed?!?:smirk::p

I just don't get this crap that's going on.

bolt cutters are in my future.

Bolt cutters are not needed. It wouldn't be difficult to find a way around the gate, but I would not risk getting a fat ticket & getting my bike impounded. Sucks royally because it's not a temporary closure, it's PERMANENT.