Sign in to follow this  

200mls of oil in 2700km, is this bad?

Hello, ive owned my drz400sm (2009 model) for around 5-6 months now. It has 3700kms on the clock, thats 2700km since the first service. I use to check oil daily then stopped as it was never going down, so I thought I did a good job breaking the engine in (used mototune breaking in guide) and it didnt use any oil. Well yesterday I noticed my bike wasnt running 100% so after a ride I checked the dipstick, showdd up fine, give it a wipe and put it back in, pulled it out, and bang, came out DRY!. ***! Tried it afew more times and it kept coming out dry.

When I check it, it was after a 5 minute ride, let the bike rest for afew minutess then checked it while the bike is sitting upright with myself sitting on it. I dont screw the dipstick in as the manaul says not to. So I went to the bike shop and bought some oil to do an oil chnage then realised I didnt have a 14mm socket. So I decided to top it up and ill do an oil chnage this weekend as the oil is getting alittle dark. So the bike took just under 200mls of oil, after another warmup, 5 minute ride, and rechecking the dipstick, it came up better showing 3/4 full on the dipstick, close enough to full so I left it. The bike runs alot better now, im just wondering do you think this is ok? im guessing it would need around 250mls to get it full on the dipstick. 100mls read jusr over the low line on the dipstick, 150mls read abit under half way on the dipstick, 200mls read 3/4 on the dipstick. So my question is is 250ml's acceptable in 2700kms?

The bikes being run on mineral oil (motul 3000 20w/50) until the 6000km service, thats what the workshop said to do. When I had a quick word to one of the mechanics he said its commin with mineral oil to lose around 100mls per 1000 or 2000kms, Cant remember if he said 1000 or 2000 now. Bike is stock at the moment with a mrd/ssw pipe, will be installing a k&n and fcr this weekend and most likely an oil change after I buy some tools. Sorry fi this is long, tried to give as much information as I could about the situation.

Anyhelp would be great.

Thanks Jerome

you need to change the oil every 1000 klm , the oil looks clean at 1000 klm but it breaks down under load and needs to be changed along with the filter .

it is normal to use some oil , you need to let the bike idle for 3 minutes turn it off . let it sit for 3 minutes then check the oil .

beware of the average ' dealer ' type mechanical advice

:banana::thumbsup:If you followed mototune,i hope you changed it at the first 75-100 miles?.:worthy:these bikes only hold 2 lousy qts,these engines work hard and i know i'm not that easy on it all the time,400-1000 mile changes would be as long as i would go.:thumbsup:sometimes i change mine just before a ride just to be sure,i'm picky on the maintenance,:banana:any machine needs to be taken care of.check oil after every warm up period and after every ride,if unsure,change it,it will thank you in long life of running good.just my 2cts...:banana::lol::banana:

Fancy that, after 2 strokes there I was thinking "At least I won't be spending money on a litre of oil every 300 miles" Not only will I be buying lots of oil I have the added task of draining it as the engine doesn't burn it off for me! :banana: