Sign in to follow this  

1999 610SM clutch issue

This probably sounds like a stupid question but just want to get peoples thoughts on this.

When I ride the bike it can be a bit of a pain to select gears and also finding neutral can be tricky.

I thought this might be a clutch issue and whilst moving my bike around the garage last night I noticed that I can't wheel the bike along when in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Is this normal or does it spell a clutch/gearbox problem? I have recently re-routed the clutch cable and it seems like it has stretched as I have run out of adjustment. That has got me thinking is it fully engaging when changing gear?

If there might be a problem what is the best way to assess condition of clutch?

Thanks as always!

Hi Chris

Finding neutral is tricky on these bikes, what works for me is to select neutral before the bike comes to a stop. If I remember correctly the manual mentions this neutral phenomenon. When my bike is cold I am also not able to push the bike while it is in gear with the clutch engaged, however it is not a problem when the bike is warm. I am not sure why you struggle finding gears as is easy on my bike.

Did you get the fuel leaking issue sorted out?

If you need a manual let me know and I will post a link.

Hi there

Thanks for reply. Haven't tried when bike is warm so I will do that to see. Someone else said that finding neutral can be tricky so guess its part of the character!

Yes sorted leaking fuel, thanks for asking. it was the floats sticking, a quick tap sorted it!

I would love a link to a manual, thank you very much. Much appreciated

Cheers