Sign in to follow this  

Help me add a battery to my 600

So I have a tagged 600 now but it's still running the stock charging setup except for a moose high output stator. I am going to be installing a ricky stator 8" light with the H4 bulb. I have the option to run up to a 100W bulb with this setup. I want to know what I need to buy to add a battery to my charging system so I don't get the lights dimming at idle so bad. I'm not really worried about the battery powering the headlight with the engine shut off but I just want to keep the light from dimming at idle. I'm not a wiring guru but I can figure it out if somebody has a "how to" link. Anybody have any insight into this?....thanks.

First you need to go to a DC system to run a battery at all. Many times the headlight is AC even with a DC dual sport lighting. You are going to need a big battery to keep a 100watt headlight from dimming at idle. I don't think the AA packs described in the other thread will do it for you. You need more battery capacity.

Have you considered a HID retrofit? HID is wither on or off so there is no significant dimming as long as there is enough power to run it. You also get 100 watts worth of light for about 40 watts.

If the bike does not have a regulator/rectifier, you will need one. Make a battery pack from 10 nimh AA batteries wired in series, works good. You can get a ready made battery pack here www.batteryspace.com look under robot batteries.

So I am slowly putting this together. I believe that I will need a DC regulator/rectifier because I think the stock honda unit is AC. So I should be able to use the moose HO stator that I have, add the reg/rec, and throw a battery pack in there somewhere. I want to be able to turn the light off during the day so I will also add a bar switch, relay, and probably a fuse block. I read somewhere that if you run a setup like this you need to have a bulb turned on all the time to keep from burning up the stator?...is this correct? Can you run an HID setup with no battery or do you have to run DC?

You pretty much need a battery to run a HID. A filament kind of averages out and can be driven with AC. The HID ballast needs good DC and a battery is pretty much required to even out the pulses of electricity that come from the single phase stators that the XR600 has. HID also needs a big but very short slug of juice to start the arc and the stator just can't provide it. I have an old almost completely worn out battery made from 10 AA Nimh cells and my HID i fine with it.

You don't have to run the headlight all the time, but you have to make sure that your DC rectifier/regulator can deal with the power and has enough cooling. The way the regulators work is either the power gets used by a headlight or it gets adsorbed by the regulator. You don't save anything by turning the light off. I like to run the lights for visibility. If you ride on the road, most states require that the headlight be on anyhow.

That makes sense to me. I am going with the ricky stator light since it's an h4 and I use this bike for a commuter. I wanted to be able to switch the light from hi, low, or off but I could just as easily run the low beam during the day. I want to run the 100W bulb for high beam since I ride rural roads at night and they are loaded with deer. I like the HID idea but I may have to wait depending on the price of those kits. I will have $400 tied up in the light and rec/regulator alone. I haven't looked into the battery packs yet. I'm thinking something small that could fit inside the airbox or perhaps under the seat?