Sign in to follow this  

86 water pump cover on a 88?? will it work?

ok so I got a 86 used cylinder for my 88, same part, so that solves one problem. Water pump next. I am not spending 200 for a new one, sorry. but off the same bike as the cylinder is the water pump, still in good shape, but will it fit?? it does not have the separate clutch cover. so is a different part and different number BUT if the cylinder is the same, maybe the case is also the same? anyone know for sure?? I spent the winter cleaning the old water pump and was going to reuse it. I have sealed the magnesium with epoxy after a little air abrasive cleaning. but obviously if I can find a cheap fix I would rather go that way.

BTW - my last post asking if the skirt could be welded and replated by my local guy - news came back $400 to do that repair.

I can tell you a 1988/89 water pump cover will work for a 1985 through 1989 CR250. I do not know if the '86 cover will fit an 1988 however. The designs are different. They work backward, (1989 to 1986) the may not work forward (1986 to 1988).

If you order a 1989 cover, it is now made of aluminum so no more corrosion problems. Also, check your radiators, they are probably plugged from the magnesium cover.

Edited by bigpaul
clarity

I gave my rads a very good soaking in water to help dissolve the magnesium then a good blowing out followed by more washing and I thing I have all the crap out of them. I will monitor them very closely when they are back on the beast.

I just can't believe that a 89 will work on a 86 and not the other way around. the part is not very much so I may just order it and see. I have not seen many 86 pump covers on ebay since I have been watching the last 4 months so I should be able to sell it on if it does not fit.

You won't see any '86 covers on ebay. Those covers were TOAST by the time the bikes get parted out.

If I were in your shoes, I would order the 1989 cover and fit it to your 1986. I think the odds of it fitting is excellent.

I own a 1988 CR250 and the cover was destroyed. I was very happy to see the new cover was aluminum, problem solved.

84 to 86 use the same cover. 87 to 89 use the same cover. They will NOT retrofit due to different HPP valve mechanism in the case. Tried it on my 86. Wanted to be able to change clutch plates w/o removing the entire cover ! ! Spend the money on a new cover and be done with it. You will be better off. WD

84 to 86 use the same cover. 87 to 89 use the same cover. They will NOT retrofit due to different HPP valve mechanism in the case. Tried it on my 86. Wanted to be able to change clutch plates w/o removing the entire cover ! ! Spend the money on a new cover and be done with it. You will be better off. WD

Sorry but the 84-86 do NOT use the same cover!! The water pump internals are very different between the years. An 84 is specific to 84. Seems like this comes up about every 2 months..ha ha

Here is how it breaks down:

1981 water pump cover will fit a 1982 and 1983.

1984 is a "one off" water pump cover.

1985 through 1989 use virtually the same water pump cover. I know for a fact that a 1989 water pump cover WILL work on a 1988 and 1987 CR250. A 1987 cover will fit a 1986 and 1985. Therefore the 1989 cover WILL work on the 1988,87,86,85 CR250.

I have a mechanic that has swapped the covers. The 1989 cover is aluminum not magnesium.