2002 kx250 gear oil?

well i just picked up an 02 kx250 and im wanting to change the oil but im new to dirtbikes. on the gear box it has a little "spy glass thing" and the oil is at the bottom about where you cant see it. and it does not tell you anywhere on the gear box when its full. and i have no idea how much to put in. so what do i do? and whats a good gear oil to buy?

heres some pics of the bike. i think it was a good deal for 2000$

CIMG0263.jpg

CIMG0264.jpg

OH GOD,,,

another oil thread...

Elementx665, you are probably not aware, but the subject of oil has been beat to death. It is bordering on a religious argument. There are many old threads that discuss this to no end. I would suggest you search the forum and begin reading through them. You are unlikely to be able to read all the posts and arguments because they are so long.

I used to run exactly what the manufacturer suggested, but was eventually convinced to run ATF. I have good results that work for me with how I ride and how often I change the oil. I buy the cheapest ATF from Wally world, dump in most of 1 quart(bike says 0.875 litre), never look at the window level, and change it frequently. The first couple of changes on ATF was flushing out old dirty stuff, now it comes out looking/smelling new. The clutch response is good with reliable smooth engagement. I ride hare scrambles in the woods with a lot of clutch work. That's what works for me.

The only consensus that you might come close to getting is to change the oil on a regular basis and dont over-tighten the drain plug.

Here is a link to a thread going on for 1.5 years with 231 posts....

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669737

Edited by cxcmoto
adding link to thread

Nice looking bike man!! I am also getting ready to change my gear oil on a "new to me" purchased bike. I will probably use the wally world oil as mentioned above and change it out often.

I do have a question though, my bike does not have the spy glass (aftermarket covers) and I have yet to get a manual. Anyone out there have an idea on how much oil to put in a 1995 KX 125?

Thanks in advance

I do have a question though, my bike does not have the spy glass (aftermarket covers) and I have yet to get a manual. Anyone out there have an idea on how much oil to put in a 1995 KX 125?

Thanks in advance

The oil capacity is on the actual sidecase. Not the clutch cover. It will say something like: .7L or 700ml. Not real sure of the actual cap. but the late mode 85-125 use 700 and the 250's 950ml.

Also I 102nd the ATF type F. My son ran on his stock clutch set for 3 years, 5 top ends, 3 bottom ends, 100 to 103 to 112cc's. He needed a new basket and springs. Even when we sold the bike a a month or so ago, it still mic'd only .001" of wear from new. He has had over 100 races and practiced almost every day it didn't pour down rain or wasn't too cold. Just change it every 8-10 hrs ride time.

Also. somewhere on the right side case, it will say the oil capacity. NOT the clutch cover. It will have .950ml or something similar. Every kawi has it.

BTW, Element, SWEEEET! bike. Man that's clean.

If you notice right below the filler plug, it says .70 L (this is on the 100 though)

9removeclutchcable.jpg

The oil capacity is on the actual sidecase. Not the clutch cover. It will say something like: .7L or 700ml. Not real sure of the actual cap. but the late mode 85-125 use 700 and the 250's 950ml.

Also I 102nd the ATF type F. My son ran on his stock clutch set for 3 years, 5 top ends, 3 bottom ends, 100 to 103 to 112cc's. He needed a new basket and springs. Even when we sold the bike a a month or so ago, it still mic'd only .001" of wear from new. He has had over 100 races and practiced almost every day it didn't pour down rain or wasn't too cold. Just change it every 8-10 hrs ride time.

Also. somewhere on the right side case, it will say the oil capacity. NOT the clutch cover. It will have .950ml or something similar. Every kawi has it.

BTW, Element, SWEEEET! bike. Man that's clean.

If you notice right below the filler plug, it says .70 L (this is on the 100 though)

9removeclutchcable.jpg

thanks alot man after seeing this pic. i went looking around and its on the inside on the kick start. says 0.850 but thanks again =D

• 2 years later...

With Chokey.

The big bikes (250+) hold 850ml or so. A qt is 946ml. The extra 100 won't hurt anything. Besides, if you fall over on the right side, some will leak out. On the left...fuel will come out. Nature of the beast.