Sign in to follow this  

What 250cc models are street legal?

I know KLR's are legal from the factory but some KLX's look legal too with blinkers, mirrors, etc. Are some years street legal and others not?

KLX250's have always been street legal here in the U.S. haven't they? Regardless, they are street legal since '06 for sure. There are examples of street legal international KLX250's I think going back to '94.

Depending on what you want to do with a street legal 250, there are quite a few out there. The more serious models for dirt from Japanese brands probably only include the KLX250 and WR250R. That might cause a howl from some XT, KLR, and DR model owners, but those other than the KLX and WR are relatively old air cooled technology with wimpier suspension units. Good bikes for many uses, but not as good for dirt. That said, even the KLX and WR need work to be better dirt bikes.

There are some very good euro models that are more dirt worthy, but they generally require a bit more maintenance and service interval attention, and they're generally pretty expensive. You get what you pay for, however, and if the requirement is very little pavement and mostly all serious dirt use, you get what is very close to a real race bike with a street plate and registration. A couple of examples come from Husky and KTM.

Wanna share how that applies to a 250 street legal DS question? Not a challenge...just curious.

I don't recall them testing emissions on my ZX6R. The frame is the important thing.

So KLX250's are considered street legal?