Sign in to follow this  

Shifting down with or without clutch ....

I have heard some say its no problem to shift down with no clutch (2 stroke) ... some have said it doesn't hurt the trans/gears to shift down without clutch? is this true ? thanks in advance

I rarely ever used a clutch on any bike street or dirt 2st or 4st , only when feathering in tight stuff and starting and stopping , never broke anything yet , the key is dont slam your foot on the shifter , that will bend shift forks , just use throttle to control the load on the gearbox, and shift when the load is light , by slightly letting off the throttle for a second to unload the gears , then shift away !

It is true. No need to clutch on downshifts as there will not be a load on the gears. However, upshifting in most cases is better/safer using the clutch because most of the time you are accelerating and putting a load on the gears.

No need for the clutch when shifting if u use throttle control. The clutch is only mainly for starts, turns, keeping the rpms up in rough trails and keeping the front down on hill climbs ect....You can do both ways, just with the transmissions these days it is not need unless u shift with tons of throttle but then you would be better off learning the basics again.

You do not need to downshift with the clutch. As far as upshifting, I personally bump the clutch when I shift or I all out pin it and bang through the gears. There are many styles as well as many methods for upshifting in different situations. To each his own depending on conditions and machinery.

I have been shifting up without a clutch just barely letting off the throttle. And shifting down with the clutch. I just listen to my dad because... He pays for my riding I guess. I'm going to try shifting down without a clutch.

Am I able to shift both ways without a clutch? Or is it safer on the gears to shift with a clutch on the upshift?