Sign in to follow this  

Clicking noise while kick starting

hey, i just put my bike back together. i replaced cam chain and rings.

I tried kick starting my bike, and when i do there is a clicking noise somewheres from the clutchcover plate. and i can't get a full kick like i used to be able to.

anyone have any suggestions?

can i just jump start the bike?

I'm really anxious to ride again.. hellllllllllllp

hey, i just put my bike back together. i replaced cam chain and rings.

I tried kick starting my bike, and when i do there is a clicking noise somewheres from the clutchcover plate. and i can't get a full kick like i used to be able to.

anyone have any suggestions?

can i just jump start the bike?

I'm really anxious to ride again.. hellllllllllllp

you must first learn patience!!

... riding a bike, making a peculiar noise is a :banana: Don't bump start it just yet.

YOU did the work?

If so, you should know where to check for problems.

If your not sure whatsoever, did you use a service manual to do the parts replacement? ...or do you have good mechanical skills, just not too good at troubleshooting? I'm so confused :lol:

yes, i did the work. i have a feel it has something to do with the spring on the kick starter. i didnt put tension on it before putting on. i read somewheres that all you need to do is put the spring ends in the hole in the shaft and the casing, and that would give it the proper tension.

I did have a owners manual. however, i dont have my own, so my friend gave me his manual for his ex400. And the only thing that is really different is the kick starter.

First... hats off to ya for doing your own work :banana:

Now go lean your bike over onto the shifter side, maybe putting your handlebar onto a stand.... take the clutch cover off, and cycle the kick starter. Or at least, thats where I'd start my troubleshooting.

Thanks to you both!

I have the clutch cover off again and i took the kick starter assembly out. I'll wait for that manual to download and then put it back together correctly. thanks again

ok, problem is back. however, i now can get a full kick in again. but the clicking noise is still there.

Ran into another problem while putting clutch cover back on.. broke the lifter piece that sits in the middle of the clutch plates and attaches to the clutch.

soooooooooo happy...:banana:

That is aggravating. How does one do that, anyway?

Is this a 400 or 250?

So what did you do wrong when installing the kickstarter spring the first time?

while putting clutch cover back on.. broke the lifter piece that sits in the middle of the clutch plates and attaches to the clutch.

soooooooooo happy...:banana:

its a 400.

and i didnt have the kick starter shaft in the right groove.

once again, ill be taking it apart today. figure out that clicking sound.

my friend said he had a similar problem. and it was the kick starter.

anyways.. i'll fiddle with it.

ok, i figured it out. after taking out the kick starter assembly. i took out the stopper plate as well. i had a feeling that this would be the cause of the clicking noise when i turned over the engine. sure enough, the stopper plate was cracked and bent slightly.. just enough for the kick starter gear to make contact. i straightened it out and put it back in. problem solved. :banana:

ok, i figured it out. after taking out the kick starter assembly. i took out the stopper plate as well. i had a feeling that this would be the cause of the clicking noise when i turned over the engine. sure enough, the stopper plate was cracked and bent slightly.. just enough for the kick starter gear to make contact. i straightened it out and put it back in. problem solved. :lol:

:banana: