Sign in to follow this  

when to know its time for a clutch

My 06 still has the OEM clutch setup. So far, it doesn't seem like it's slipping at all, but I would assume it's not going to last too much longer.

I can get a Tusk clutch kit with springs for $35. anyone heard of them? Anything else I should replace besides, plates, disks, and springs?

I just put a tusk kit in mine about 15 hrs ago. I havent had a problem with it what so ever. It comes with 10% stiffer springs than stock. I belive the main reason for the stock setup being so weak is the softer springs they come with. The tusk might not last as long as some of the more expensive clutches, but for 35 bucks, I dont mind having a fresh clutch every season. Just my opinion. as far as replacing other parts... If it seems good now, the basic spring/plate kit will be fine. Inspect the basket for any wear or signs of grooveing. this will happen when you have an old worn clutch that should have been replaced 5 rides ago. if your steel plates are blued and burnt, its time.

I put a tusk clutch kit in my 03' CR250, which I always clutched the crap out of. When I sold it, the clutch still worked as good as new and it had around 25 hours on it.