Sign in to follow this  

How I got amazing throttle response...

Just thought I'd share my results and what I did and hopefully it'll help others. Of course, this form is where I got all the information I needed to do these mods, so I'm not taking any credit.

I got the bike, a plated 2000 E and was VERY disappointed with the performance, but thought I'd get used to it. I started to miss my RMZ 450. Then I decided to time the AP, found the AP circuit clogged. Cleaned and time the AP and installed a JD jet kit. It already had a 165 main, so I just put in the new needle. Huge difference. Then my throttle response started to go away because the arm was starting to wear. I saw the posts about wiring the AP and throttle arms together, and cutting the rivet off the diaphragm. Once again, another huge difference! Then came the full Muzzy exhaust, which I love. It gave me the sound I want, along with more throttle response and more power.

Well, until today, I thought I had done pretty much everything I could do, and I was VERY pleased with the power/throttle response. I started reading about removing the CE and how that helps throttle response also, so today I spent 15 minutes and removed mine. I didn't even have to remove the carb, or tank. I went for a quick ride around the neighborhood. Once the engine was up to temp, I quickly found out how much throttle response I have gained. 1st gear requires absolutely NO effort to lift the front end. Even 2nd, I easily clutched it up and did one of the most beautiful wheelies I've ever done. The throttle response has helped my throttle control.

Anyway, just thought I would share my story in case there are others who haven't done these mods yet. In my opinion, it's a must. Even if it's just the AP mod, and removing the CE, it costs next to nothing and made the largest difference.

I love my DRZ!!!

Hope this helps someone!

Steve

Here are a couple of links that helped me...

The "new" AP mod. Don't do the taffy, do this one.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832902&highlight=

This one for the CE.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202712&highlight=coast+enricher+removal

Edited by Steve91T
  • Like 1

Sorry, thought I had it in there....

AP=Accelerator Pump

CE=Coast Enricher

Well done!!

What is are your carb settings [vs. altitude]?

I will be running the exact same settup and have found no info...

I can't remember. I did it per the instructions that came with JD. I'm at about 1200 feet.

Yeah, for whatever reason, it's hard to find the info in one place. The only CE post I found that was worth anything was one from 2 years ago.

I'm going to edit my first post and add links to threads that helped me...

Steve

thanks Steve nice detailed post w links me likey :lol:

Ive been contemplating removing my CE from my E FCR, now I just might contemplate it more LOL (then Ill do it)

I did do the grind the button on the Ap and was happy w that :banana:

Yep, well 15 minutes of your time, and you'll be even happier.

I did swing by the auto parts store and picked up a small box of assorted vacuum caps to cap off the cylinder head nipple. I was able to reuse one of the vacuum lines that came off the CE.

Have fun with it!!!

Steve

thanks for the post i will be looking at the same mods very shortly

Steve91t, Please post the links or post pics of yours done. The only pic I found was pre mod instead of post mod. Thanks!

you did the eddie mod to the ap at the same time?

No, it was done separately from all other mods. Really, the only mod I did in addition to something else was cleaning the AP so it worked, then timing it. Of course, the Eddie mod is a better way to adjust the AP.

Steve

Steve91t, Please post the links or post pics of yours done. The only pic I found was pre mod instead of post mod. Thanks!

I wish I had taken a pic of when I wired the AP linkage. I was just so excited and I couldn't wait to get it back in the bike.

I'll see if I can find a pic of the carb with the CE removed.

Steve

No, I only capped the cylinder head port. I then connected the other two ports together.

I did what the dude did in the link I provided in my first post.

Is there a bettter way?

Steve

:excuseme:In the pics this for the fcr correct? What can I do to this 06' E stock carb until i save my pennys for a fcr?

No, I only capped the cylinder head port. I then connected the other two ports together.

I did what the dude did in the link I provided in my first post.

Is there a bettter way?

Steve

no,you did it correctly.