Sign in to follow this  

Loading your bike into a tall truck

I am looking for good ideas how to go about this. (better than what I am doing now) My truck is a flat bed, four wheel drive, 1 ton dodge. The bed is 44" off the ground. In the past, we (my two sons and myself) have rode quads, and I have made ramps that hooked on the rub rail and we loaded them sideways. These ramps are about 7 1/2 feet long, and a quad can fairly easely drive up them. Pushing a bike up them is another story. Riding a bike up them is suicidel at the least. I need a way to load 3 bikes on my truck fairly easy without the risk of death. What do you think?

you're using a quad ramp?

Ride the bike in. 100%.

Modify the ramps so they are full width of tailgate. or

Walk up one ramp while motoring the bike up the other.

Have used both methods but full width ramps work best. Also helps to have ramps long enough to reduce loading angle to comfortable grade.

Tri-fold quad ramp makes it real easy. Just push the bike up one side and walk up the other. The center sections of mine is just like a ladder. I think it was made by Moose.

my tailgate sits 46'' off the ground..just measured lol,but i ride up a 7' long 8'' wide bike ramp all the time. Just hook a tiedown from your hitch to the middle of the ramp so it stays put! If you dont feel comfortable doing that..get off the bike and walk it up in 1st gear using the clutch..you can use a bike stand as a step for you to get up..one of those two ways is how most of us do it.

I have an f-350 with a dump body which is very high like yours. I use a wider 4 wheeler ramp and ride it up, but I take two ratchet tie downs and and run them from about halfway up the ramp on the underside to my two tow hooks on the back of the truck to make sure the ramp is completely secure so there is no chance of it slipping off when riding them up.

Yeah just ride the bike up there and be prepared to hit the brakes, no need to make the ramps longer.

My ramps can not slip off if I load from the side. They hook onto the rub rail. The ramps are home made out of pipe with wire mesh flooring, welded between them. About 6" wide overall. Worked great for the quads, but the bikes seem to spin on it, when trying to power them up, walking beside them. I don't want to be a youtube hit by trying to ride up them and failing. The ramps are to steep to just push the bikes up. I was just wondering what others were doing. I think I'll try and build a "new", longer, bike ramp with more grip.

If you have good balance and a sturdy bike stand, use the bike stand as a step while you run it up the ramp you already have. A tri-folding ramp should work well too. Another option is the ramp that has a slight bend in the middle, which will hold the bike halfway up and give you some time to step up into the truck bed.

A friend of a friend has a lifted Dodge 3500 and loads/unloads with just a 2x4 - no flange to hold it flat against the tailgate. Don't ask me how he does this but it looks scary as hell.

I just found a product called ReadyRamp - a bed extender and loading ramp combined into one - I think I want this now!